Parents Double full vs double back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@Flicfliclay Athletes won't necessarily have the same opinion as I do unless they train in our program. We are a very heavy tramp training club. If a gymnast doesn't grow up on tramp... it's not that easy for them later on without focusing tons of hours on it. Trampoline seems like a "fun" waste of time to many... but if used the right way you will really only need to teach athletes basics on the events and their high level skills will just "be there waiting" when they are ready for them.

A few clubs that I have seen work this way... at least in the past...

• Midwest Gymnastics Minnesota (Sunisa Lee)
  • Team Central
  • GAGE
  • IGI
  • TCT
  • Swiss Turners (men's team... Paul and Morgan Hamm have excessive trampoline ability)
  • Buffalo Grove (men's team)
I actually use bits and pieces of from coaches from each of these clubs on a daily basis on trampoline.

Can someone tell me what letter value a double full and a double back are and why one would train one and not the other?
For women, double full is a C and double back is a D. For men, they're both Cs last I checked (disclaimer: last I checked was at least five years ago).

As for why one would train one and not the other, there are many possible reasons.

Double back is much simpler as far as technique goes, but more dangerous and requires more power. Double full is more technical and has slightly lower power requirements. Also, some gymnasts are naturally comfortable twisting but uncomfortable with double saltos, and some are the other way around (though I must admit that in the last few years I find myself coming around to the idea that by spending enough time with proper progressions on trampoline, either can be made to feel easy and intuitive to any gymnast as long as both athlete and coach are patient enough). A double full can build towards a 5/2, which can be used for connections, whereas anything building from a double back is not worth using in connection for anything below the top-tier elite level. I'd consider a double back to be an easier skill to train, IF the right facilities are available.

So with all this in mind, which skill makes more sense to focus on (or both -- they aren't mutually exclusive) will depend on the athlete, the coach, and the training facilities.

EDIT: Also, I want to echo what JBS has said in this thread: trampoline, trampoline, trampoline! The most important and most under-utilized piece of equipment in almost every gym. Team kids should be spending serious time on trampoline every single day they are in the gym working drills and progressions, as well as just playing and experimenting (within reason). Ideally, an athlete's trampoline skills should be at least a full year ahead of what they're training on floor (ie if a kid is going to be doing double backs on floor in a year, she should be doing them on trampoline now, if not sooner). Trampoline is the most effective tool at training kids to be comfortable in the air, and yet the majority of gyms use it primarily as a play station for toddlers and rec kids.

Last edited:
@Flicfliclay Athletes won't necessarily have the same opinion as I do unless they train in our program. We are a very heavy tramp training club. If a gymnast doesn't grow up on tramp... it's not that easy for them later on without focusing tons of hours on it. Trampoline seems like a "fun" waste of time to many... but if used the right way you will really only need to teach athletes basics on the events and their high level skills will just "be there waiting" when they are ready for them.

A few clubs that I have seen work this way... at least in the past...

• Midwest Gymnastics Minnesota (Sunisa Lee)
  • Team Central
  • GAGE
  • IGI
  • TCT
  • Swiss Turners (men's team... Paul and Morgan Hamm have excessive trampoline ability)
  • Buffalo Grove (men's team)
I actually use bits and pieces of from coaches from each of these clubs on a daily basis on trampoline.
That makes sense! My daughters gym is an Elite gym, and they do use trampoline, but i wouldn't say extensively at all. Although they are required to have certain skills on the tramp. I do feel like more tramp training would benefit them, especially learning more air awareness.

Should I be concerned if my gym doesn’t have a trampoline or trampolines? We have a tumble trak and in the last 6 months air track is a tool used. Sometimes the girls will tumble off air track onto mats on the pit. We also have rod floor but I’ve never understood the benefit of rod.

Should I be concerned if my gym doesn’t have a trampoline or trampolines? We have a tumble trak and in the last 6 months air track is a tool used. Sometimes the girls will tumble off air track onto mats on the pit. We also have rod floor but I’ve never understood the benefit of rod.
Gotta work with what you have. You definitely have a good amount of tools with what you have listed. Rod floor is a "suspended" surface that is bouncier and a spring floor but less bouncy than tumbl trak. Suspended surfaces are ones that do not directly touch the ground directly below the athlete. A rod floor is made of rods that are connected to the sides of the frame... they used to be made out of old snow skis back in the day. Suspended surfaces are easier on the athlete.

Here you go... a bit more trampoline fun... double lay... full in half out... trips backward and forward. This athlete (my daughter) will need more leg strength to make any of this happen on floor (which is why I posted the weight training thread)... it's all ready to go as soon as that strength is there though.

Tumbletrak and/or air track going into a pit is almost as good as a trampoline, if used properly.

Here you go... a bit more trampoline fun... double lay... full in half out... trips backward and forward. This athlete (my daughter) will need more leg strength to make any of this happen on floor (which is why I posted the weight training thread)... it's all ready to go as soon as that strength is there though.

Looks awesome!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back