JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Last edited:
Oh son, I think a rotation of UB might be in order at next practice.:p
See I don;t like this condescension. These kids all work hard, and yes in general girls skills are rated a step above boys, it so happens this one is two steps apart, C for boys E for girls. It does not feel that much easier to boys whoa re learning it. Yes uneven bars and high bar are different but really to say one is easier is not fair.

See I don;t like this condescension. These kids all work hard, and yes in general girls skills are rated a step above boys, it so happens this one is two steps apart, C for boys E for girls. It does not feel that much easier to boys whoa re learning it. Yes uneven bars and high bar are different but really to say one is easier is not fair.
Was truly not trying to be condescending, just playful to his response that a dismount is "easier!?" on a high bar than a set of unevens. But it is reality. A double layout is less difficult to perform on a high bar than on unevens. And a double layout is easier to perform on unevens than on men's parallel bars(that's why even some of the best elite men do double pike dismounts). Humor and sarcasm are, I hope, ok and not always perceived as condescension.

Oh son, I think a rotation of UB might be in order at next practice.:p

He loves ub... he can do a toe on that goes right to the hb, and something that goes from HB to lb. But he just sees girls gettingthe double lo quicker so he was surprised. It is his scary skill this year

Reactions: sce
He loves ub... he can do a toe on that goes right to the hb, and something that goes from HB to lb. But he just sees girls gettingthe double lo quicker so he was surprised. It is his scary skill this year
Yes, a double layout is scary. Heck, a single tuck flyaway is scary! My intent was truly playful. I apologize that it came across to you as condescending.

It does not feel that much easier to boys whoa re learning it. Yes uneven bars and high bar are different but really to say one is easier is not fair.

You'd really need to take someone that can do them on both and have them compare. Learning a cartwheel for the first time is just as hard as learning a double layout.

Girls typically use a different tapping technique than the men. This technique allows them to rotate fast but not rise that much... doing this technique off of a higher bar is easier.

The men's technique allows them to rise higher... thus they can flip slow... this opens the door for more advanced dismounts in the future...

Perfecting the men's tapping technique typically takes longer than the girls method.

Girls typically use a different tapping technique than the men. This technique allows them to rotate fast but not rise that much... doing this technique off of a higher bar is easier.

The men's technique allows them to rise higher... thus they can flip slow... this opens the door for more advanced dismounts in the future...

Perfecting the men's tapping technique typically takes longer than the girls method.

My son is relearning his tap as he was taught by a coach who mostly teaches girls and thus learned the "girl" tap. So he is spending a lot of time learning the chinese tap.

My son is relearning his tap as he was taught by a coach who mostly teaches girls and thus learned the "girl" tap. So he is spending a lot of time learning the chinese tap.

That is great... that tap is very important in men's gymnastics.

Yes, a double layout is scary. Heck, a single tuck flyaway is scary! My intent was truly playful. I apologize that it came across to you as condescending.

You were fine :) I get that they are very different. I think D struggles because of size right now..not as much room when you are 5'7"

it is factual that doing a double layout with a bar in the way of your feet is indeed more difficult, so yes it is worth more. I know this to be true because all my girls learn on the single rail and then it's a very long process getting it on the set. So it's not a matter of the boys is easier, its a matter of both boys and girls will find it easer on a single rail.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back