Double layout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
This is a bit more advanced than most of what's being discussed on these forums, but does anybody here have experience coaching a double layout on floor?

I've been working on mine and can't seem to get it, despite the fact that it's only a D and I'm working several E skills. Doing it onto a mat in the pit, I am always just short, and land on hands and feet/knees.

Is there some secret to it that I don't know, or do I just need a faster and more powerful BHS?

Definitely a bit higher level than what is currently being discussed here...but this board is very new and I'd love to see all levels (men and women) discussed here.

I would say it's probably just your power, it's a tough skill. (You could always post a video to YouTube and give us the link so we could see.) Can you do them nicely off a tumble track?...what about a rod floor? If you can do it off both of those, then you're on the right track. If you're having problems on TT and rod floor, it's probably a technique issue.

Check out the links below for drills and discussion from our friends at drillsandskills.com.

http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/Floor/D/bfd002

Link Removed

Here's a video:

[YOUTUBE]ZeTkA50cF2s[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
My gym doesn't have a tumbletrck long enough for me to tumble on, and doesn't have a rod floor at all. I train all my skills on a plain old spring floor (progressing from pit to mat-in-pit to floor).

I'll see if I can get a video up sometime soon.

I tried a few double layouts off the floor b/c i did a double layout dismount off bars. Anywho....what I found was that it really isn't too hard--sometimes we make things harder than they have to be. Really lengthen your backhandsrping and make sure to get your chest up right off the floor (but of course w/o throwing your head back). A powerful roundoff handsrping is important. Also the angle that your hips are bent or open also affects the rotation speed and what not. If you're able to please post any videos you have of yourself doing it. Hopefully this'll help ya out.

I FINALLY FREAKING GOT IT.

After working on this skill for about a year and a half, and getting a number of supposedly harder skills first, I finally got my double layout on floor.

Did it twice today; both landings were short and none to easy on the ankles, but I landed it.

I FINALLY FREAKING GOT IT.

After working on this skill for about a year and a half, and getting a number of supposedly harder skills first, I finally got my double layout on floor.

Did it twice today; both landings were short and none to easy on the ankles, but I landed it.

What were you missing before? How did you get it? Just practice...or were you doing something wrong before?

Just practice. I dunno, I might still be doing something wrong, but getting away with it anyway by having a lot of power.

I'll post a video when I get a chance.

If I understood even a 1/10th of what Dave Adlard was talking about at Congress ( it was also posted at gymnasticscoaching.com as Myths and Lies ) then he went into the different of a double back layout vs a double/triple back.

Something about maintaining horizontal momentum, but I could be getting confused with what Rybacki was talking about conserving and applying horizontal momentum to connected twisting series. It was all way over my head and I have yet to see the video from either clinic being transferred over yet by our head coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back