WAG Double Twis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It’s a C skill, so it can be competed in level 8, 9, or 10. However, since the back 1 1/2 is also a C skill, many girls opt to compete the 1 1/2 in level 9, as it can be easier to connect to other skills like a front pike or front layout for bonus.

Reactions: sce
I believe it a C so is allowed in either L9 or L10. In my area I haven’t seen it in L9, but we’re not in a super competitive area so I’m sure others will have a better idea of what’s the norm!

Anecdotally: My observation was that it wasn't terribly common at most L9 meets throughout the invitationals, etc.. but you saw more of them at Regionals and beyond. It's more something I'd expect to see from those repeating 9 or the more advanced 9s. I think I saw maybe 2-3 total in L8 throughout that season. If I had to guess, you see many more at L10. Hope that helps as to frequency.

Anecdotally: My observation was that it wasn't terribly common at most L9 meets throughout the invitationals, etc.. but you saw more of them at Regionals and beyond. It's more something I'd expect to see from those repeating 9 or the more advanced 9s. I think I saw maybe 2-3 total in L8 throughout that season. If I had to guess, you see many more at L10. Hope that helps as to frequency.

I would agree with this. All the double fulls I saw from L8s were at Regionals. I saw maybe 4-5 total out of 5 sessions. They weren’t very common at L9 either. 1 1/2s seemed to be preferred. I actually saw more double backs (a D skill) than I did double fulls at L9 this past season. It could be a risk/reward scenario as well. Double backs will earn bonus as a stand-alone skill at L10, so coaches may want to give their gymnast experience competing it at L9, whereas the double full will only earn bonus through connection, and it’s not particularly easy to connect.

It’s a C skill, so it can be competed in level 8, 9, or 10. However, since the back 1 1/2 is also a C skill, many girls opt to compete the 1 1/2 in level 9, as it can be easier to connect to other skills like a front pike or front layout for bonus.

Just curious, why would 1-1/2 and double twist both be C skill? Do they have same difficulty level? It almost seems like it isn't worth it if the value is the same and it is more difficult to master or potential to have more deductions. What is the value of 2-1/2 then? Would that be a D and a triple is an E? Thanks.

Just curious, why would 1-1/2 and double twist both be C skill? Do they have same difficulty level? It almost seems like it isn't worth it if the value is the same and it is more difficult to master or potential to have more deductions. What is the value of 2-1/2 then? Would that be a D and a triple is an E? Thanks.
A 2.5 is a D, and a triple an E. My DD is a twister and competed her double twist at L9 to prep for the 2.5 twist. She now has her 2.5 on floor and plans to connect it to a front tuck this next competition season (hopefully as a level 10). DD's grand dream plan is to get her triple some day, so nice lofty progression plan! Most of the girls doing the 1.5 twists at our gym were L9 and were connecting them (to front tucks, pikes and layouts), and also most don't plan on working up to 2.5 twists (working more double backs). I think it all depends on what your child (and coach) wants to work towards, and what they are naturally inclined to pick up.

Not all skills of the same letter value are actually of the same difficulty level. Thee are a limited number of letters, of every skill that stepped up the difficulty somewhat (ie added a half twist, half turn, pike etc) was a higher letter value, then we would end up with a very uneven skill rating.

The 1 1/2 is a front landing (so blind landing) so it can be as difficult as a 2/1 so I have been told. Also, what PP said, limited letters and more skills.

DD did 1,5 to front tuck this past season, level 8. She has double on floor working towards 2.5 it will be interesting to see what tumbling passes she does this year. As it stands she can't get past picking new music so maybe she won't have a floor routine at all

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back