Off Topic Dreams

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
For years, I have tried to write in a journal. I tried traditional, bullet (which I actually liked better and still use occasionally), etc, but never stick to it. They usually turn into to-do lists. So I bought a "prompt" guided journal hoping that it would inspire me to write more and given that I'm on day 3 and haven't yet written out oa grocery list in it, it seems promising.

The prompt today was "Write down ten big dreams that haven't come true yet." And you know what? I could only think of one dream at all (to play Mimi in RENT on broadway...given that I'm 43 and can't sing, I'm thinking that one might be a lost cause...)! Not saying all of mine have come true, but more making me realize that perhaps somewhere in the time suck of working, home-owning and child-raising, I lost sight of *my* dreams. It was really sort of sad to me. I have goals, but not dreams that I can call to mind. Other than my hopes and dreams for my kids (that's sort of what led me to post on Chalkbucket! I'm sure at one point or another, many of us had/have some gym dreams for our kids!)

I was just wondering what some of yours might be. Maybe something will strike a chord and inspire me!

10... that's interesting... I have 10 things that I want to do... but I would not call them "big dreams".

I have always had the same "big dream"... to become an astronaut.

That is a great question. I can think of a few that I have always wanted.....but they are more of a bucket list than dreams...
1. Fly into the eye of a hurricane
2. Go tornado chasing
3. Get my doctorate
4. Write a book.

I guess I have a few. Not sure any of them will come completely true. I have co-authored a chapter in a book, and some articles, but that is about as close as I can come.

For almost all of my life, I didn't have any dreams or aspirations. It was easier than being told I couldn't achieve them. In the last few years, I've gotten one and have used it to motivate positive change in my life.

So these are exactly what I needed! Thank you all! I literally couldn't separate my dreams out anymore and couldn't keep them apart from career goals, etc. But I've got a few!

1. To become a professional landscape and extreme sport (freestyle ski!) photographer.
2. To move back to Manhattan, family and all.
3. To run the mile and 2-mile in the Olympics.

I actually think that part of 1. could come true one day! I don't think my husband would be willing to move back to Manhattan until our kids are out of the house, but I could see us going back one day. I'm thinking #3 might be a lost cause :p

This is an interesting thread. I think it made me realize that growing old and raising a family has also pushed my dreams to the side. I have wants and goals but dreams do not exist for me anymore.

The only thing I can stretch to a dream is to no longer need to work to have enough resources to support my current needs. I only see that coming with time and diminished responsibility associated with retirement age and I do not wish to be retirement age yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back