WAG Dressing during practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have an Xcel Bronze kid who always wears shorts with her leos. The other day she wore just a leo and it was painful. She kept tugging it down so it looked like a swimsuit from the 1950s (maybe even lower) which doesn't create a great look. We will probably stop allowing shorts a few weeks before our first meet just for her to get used to it and hopefully see how to wear a leotard correctly from the other girls.
My daughter does that to comp leos no matter how often she wears practice leos without shorts. It drives coaches nuts, but it drives her nuts how high comp leos are cut. She thinks it’s gross. She has gotten talked to, in trouble, etc., but she still pulls them down. I don’t blame her because in the upper teen years the Olympic or ncaa cut is a bit much imo.

My daughter does that to comp leos no matter how often she wears practice leos without shorts. It drives coaches nuts, but it drives her nuts how high comp leos are cut. She thinks it’s gross. She has gotten talked to, in trouble, etc., but she still pulls them down. I don’t blame her because in the upper teen years the Olympic or ncaa cut is a bit much imo.

This is exactly why I think it's unfair that the often super high cut leo is the only option for the girls when competing since that is almost always the style gyms pick for their team. It's like they're not in control of their own modesty.

I'm not saying everyone minds but for those that do it's very uncomfortable.

All team and preteam girls must wear leos. No biketards, no shirts. Shorts and leggings are permitted on all events except bars, which is puzzling because it seems as if shorts would be most useful on bars. Most of the older girls wear shorts, but shorts are not currently in fashion for L3 or L4. In the winter some of the littles do like to wear knee-length leggings. No shorts or leggings the week before a meet. Everyone wears the spirit leo to the last practice before each meet.

Hair must be out of the face, which translates to ponytail or messy bun for practice. Hair is supposed to be tight and neat for practice the week before a meet, but this rule is loosely enforced.

Our small, low-level boys' team mostly seems to wear baggy t-shirts to practice. I have no idea how they can stand to be upside down with all that fabric in their faces.

This is exactly why I think it's unfair that the often super high cut leo is the only option for the girls when competing since that is almost always the style gyms pick for their team. It's like they're not in control of their own modesty.

I don’t understand why it is necessary to have a leo cut so high on the sides you can see hip bones. Not to mention it looks uncomfortable.

luckily, our gym chooses the more modest cut, but it looks different on girls with different shapes and several still pull it down more.

I don't agree with kids being forced into something they do not feel comfortable wearing.

Jard has a point, short girl's wearing a higher cut Leo will appear to have longer legs.

At DD's old gym, the girls must wear leotards only, hair up and out of face. The expectations are laid down once they reach the pre-team equivalent of level 3, but the little girls in the team stream do it automatically because it just seems like the epectation. It is what they see being done. Rec is kind of anything goes. But the hair has to be up. That's a safety issue. They even keep new packs of ponytail holders and if you send your kid to class with their hair down, the coaches will end up putting it up.

At the new gym, it's leotards or leotard and leggings or bar shorts. Mostly people just wear leos.

What!? The bra can't show?! Why? That must be very annoying. I understand that you can't show your bra during a meet, but come on! While you're training, I personally feel that racerback bras give more support than a regular bra. Does everyone actually follow this rule?
Not just can't show, as in a racerback, but like if your strap happens to slip down on your shoulder and is showing, we have had kids get in big trouble. Yep, everyone follows the rule.

I’ve never believed that. Having seen it so often I just don’t think it makes enough of a difference to force it on girls..

Having taller gymnasts would make the lines look longer, but gyms dont rush out to sign up a bunch of tall gymmies, lol.
"Explanation" busted! :D:cool:;):rolleyes:

Visually it does make the lines/legs appear longer. Not a new concept in clothing (along with how stripes, patterns, colors, hem length, waist length and sleeve length are used)

And JMO its a question of degrees. These are mostly little girls/teens. You can extend the cut a bit for the cleaner "lines".
And then you can over do it.

And its freaking practice. If their clothing allows them to practice safely and is neat. Why should anyone care.

Visually it does make the lines/legs appear longer. Not a new concept in clothing (along with how stripes, patterns, colors, hem length, waist length and sleeve length are used)

And JMO its a question of degrees. These are mostly little girls/teens. You can extend the cut a bit for the cleaner "lines".
And then you can over do it.

And its freaking practice. If their clothing allows them to practice safely and is neat. Why should anyone care.
Timed out before I could edit.

High heels make the legs look longer......
Thongs really extend the legs......

And on my 11 yr old. oh He-double hockey sticks, no.

Our girls are only aloud to wear a leo during late summer and all of competition season due to getting them ready for competition season so they are used to wearing just a leo. Their hair can be however they like though as long its out of their face... My DD has no problems with it since she is 12 but older girls do have some problems with it.

Not just can't show, as in a racerback, but like if your strap happens to slip down on your shoulder and is showing, we have had kids get in big trouble. Yep, everyone follows the rule.
I must say the "no bra strap rule showing" rule during practice has me scratching my head a little. We have a couple girls that need the extra support. Mine doesn't need it, but I think it makes her actually feel more covered. The girls absolutely know the rules on no straps showing during meets though, so it doesn't create confusion at meets.

The "you can only wear a leo to get used to only wearing a leo" is the silliest thing ever. It makes absolutely no sense. None.

Really a mock meet/dress rehearsal is more then sufficient. Both gyms we have been at do this. One "meet/practice" prior to start of meet season. So we all (parents, coaches and kids) are OK with things like is the hair in the way, is it going to hold up, leo fit and in good condition, no undies showing and so on). This makes sense.

Leo's only for getting used to them. Makes no sense. Getting used to the leo is the least of things regarding meets. They have to get used to being judged, the added crowd of spectators and noise, different equipment (that changes at every meet). The view from the equipment (which changes are every meet). Hair if they are not used to whatever "meet hair" is even more important then a leo. Grips and supports more important to get used to.

Kids competing multiple times a season for years, do not "need" to get used to a leo. And if they do then they need to get used to the actual leo they are wearing, not just any leo.

And I do not see that happen in any other sport or activity that requires a specific dress or uniform. At least none I or my kids have ever been in.
Just silly.

Wow.... that's insane.

lol, I agree… so glad our girls can even COMPETE like THIS!
gymmies in sports bras.jpg
Since it matches the top band of color, it looks like it could be part of the leotard.
Snowflake Designs will even sell sports bras to match any of their leotards… don't know if they only expect them to be used for practice or not, but it is an idea.

The only look I dislike is the top of a Leo hanging out of a shirt. I actually prefer two piece tight work out outfits like you would see at most serious athletic practices, with shorts or leggings. Male gymnasts don't wear singlets to every practice and they are never expected to have super tight clothing below the waist.

I don't buy the safety issues and leos are not magical things that separate female gymnasts, their skills do. As long as they are safe they should be able to be as modest as they choose. Even if you require them to cover their midriff ( for all including the boy's team and rec), leos don't make the sport.

The part of the sport I like the least is how exclusionary it feels. The popular t shirt that says if "gymnastics was easy they would call it football" , the ranch hidden away in the woods, at competitions closely chaperoning women over 18 on international teams. It all feeds the idea that women's gymnastics is separate and often suprrior than other high level sports. The entire sport, even college teams keep such tight control over women but it's ok because it's women's gymnastics. Not gymnastics, women's gymnastics.

Rant over. I love the sport, just not some of the attitude I see.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back