WAG Dressing during practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mine would live her entire life barefoot if she could...I guess we really are from Kentucky now!
I am most often barefoot. I have one pair of "sneaker mules" that I wear (year round), rarely with socks unless it is SUPER cold... and I just found out that are on clearance and my color is no longer available... so glad I bought 2 pairs last time.
I even wear them in the middle of winter in Ohio - but barefoot as soon as I walk in the door at home. They flick off as I walk are loose enough to just flick off as I walk thru the door, lol.

Attachments

• Trina Sneaker mule.jpg
    Trina Sneaker mule.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 33
Panty liners in the Leo. No underwear.

And no sock drama buy all the same color And style

Oh yes we have sock Drama. Have had it for years as well. The current sock must be an ankle sock. It must not be too tall bit it also must clear the top of the shoe. Current brands that will be worn are puma and reebok.

I’m the same with my sock heights (clear the top of the shoe without touching the ankle bone). The Puma socks from Costco are my favorites.

Does your gym allow gymnasts to wear shorts during workouts? Why do or don't they?

Do they allow kids to wear leggings instead of shorts?

Do they allow the girls to wear sport bras or crop tops with shorts when It is hot?

Do they have any other requirements, like hair in a bun?

Just out of curiosity

they should not wear shorts or briefs on bars. that fabric along with the fabric of the leo causes slippage when kip casting. i'm certain there are coaches here that have seen their kids slip a hand on the kip cast hand and come down on the bar and tear the skin at/near the hip flexor.

that should not be allowed for a lot of reasons.

Previous gym allowed boot shorts for practices, except during bars and for the week before a meet. Current gym allows shorts for summer training only.

It’s leos and leos only at our gym for the team kids (including the non competitive pre-team kids all the way through L10). No shorts or leggings. They can wear leggings and a warm up jacket for just that, warming up. As soon as warm up is done and they start actual skills, the warm ups have to come off. Everyone does this, it’s just the expectation and to my knowledge, there hasn’t been any issues with it.

That said, my daughter has terrible eczema and sometimes she gets really bad flare ups on the backs of her legs. If this happens, she does have to wear full length leggings. She hates it because she says it’s hot (and also she’s the only one, which I suspect is the real reason she doesn’t like it). But there is simply no choice when this happens... it’s either leggings at practice or stay home, doctor’s orders, because it’s a staph infection waiting to happen. Her skin gets absolutely raw, with open blister-like abrasions and flaky/peeling dry skin when this happens, and she can’t be rolling around in dirt, chalk, other people’s sweat, etc like that. Luckily, this has only happened a few times where it’s gotten that bad, but her coaches are really understanding about it. What can you do? With this Rx cream (that costs $200 ), it will clear in about 2 weeks, and she just has to keep her legs covered until it passes.

The rec girls are strongly encouraged to wear leos, and I would say a solid 90-95% do. Some will wear shorts over their leos or wear the biketard type leo. The rest wear shorts/leggings with tanks fitted tees/tanks. Anything that has zippers/buttons/etc or is excessively baggy isn’t allowed. I don’t know if our kids/parents are just good rule followers by nature or if the rules are just enforced well so people don’t really even try to push the boundaries. Regardless, you don’t see any kids wearing stuff that isn’t allowed.

EVERYONE, and I mean everyone, must have their hair pulled up and back away from the face. This goes for the little Tumble Tots all the way through the L10s. Absolutely no hair in your face.

they should not wear shorts or briefs on bars. that fabric along with the fabric of the leo causes slippage when kip casting. i'm certain there are coaches here that have seen their kids slip a hand on the kip cast hand and come down on the bar and tear the skin at/near the hip flexor.

that should not be allowed for a lot of reasons.
Dunno, what about the guys on high bars?

I wore underwear under my leotards when I first started gymnastics because I had no idea why someone wouldn’t. That lasted just a few months before I figured out you didn’t need to wear underwear. I pretty much never wore them after that. I also started out with wearing shorts but eventually stopped with the exception of modesty for leotards that didn’t have the best butt coverage.

When I trained and competed, roughly seven million years ago, the dress code was known and followed, but not strictly enforced. In the gym, a lro or bar shorts and a full length fitted athletic shirt. Bar shorts could also be worn over a leo except during the week before a meet, and we wore our competition leos for at least one practice before meets to get a feel for it. Hair up and back, no ponytails if it the pony went past 1" below the hairline at the nape of the neck, for both training and meets.

We also did a lot of swimming as cardio cross training (gym was in a huuuge multisport complex), and we had to wear one piece athletic suits. Except my best gym friend, she had a ridiculously long torso so every one piece fit her like Catalina Ponor's leos. She wore a tanking or rash guard instead.

Where I coach, the summer norm is sports bras and Nike Pros. And I understand, it is insanely hot on the gym, but I coach tumbling and bars, and sweaty torsos do not help when trying to spot skills. Like, at all. Thank all that is holy, we live waaaay north in the midwest so our heat waves tend to be pretty short!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back