Drills for a round off back tuck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I need some drills for a round off back tuck. One of the girls that I am teaching needs this skill for cheerleading. Any advise would help greatly. Thanks

Have her try round-off then rebound up onto a big resi-pit mat or stacked mats so that she is able to work on setting high & correct before attempting the tuck with it.

In my personal opinion, a round off back tuck is easier than a round off back handspring. From what I've seen, most folks working a round off tuck can't do a round off back handspring correctly.

If you want to get height for a tuck out of a round off, try widening your arms a bit so you can snap down more underneath or behind yourself. Think about standing up tall in the set.
Rebound a billion of these onto at high mat to get used to the height. You can even do a backward roll on the mat to simulate the tuck until you are comfortable with it.

For the first half of the skill, the set, here is a recent videos from gymnatike that might help. Getting a proper set is not only important for this skill but crucial for many other tumbling skill to come.

Technique Tuesday: Takeoff Hip Lift Drill | Technique Tuesday on Gymnastike

Another drill i saw for the set was roundoff-ing on the floor and setting straight back on to a rest or soft mat leaning against the wall.

If you can set up the resi mats and wedge set up shown in the first drill it should be really helpful because it shows the gymnast how to set and THEn start to rotation of the salto.

Good luck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back