Dropdown?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, so there is this skill i call a dropdown which involves swinging on highbar then letting go and dropping directly to lowbar catching underneath and gliding out. i would like to know what it is actually called and if that would count as your release for USAG level eight. i know it would also require me to do a pirroutte or a swing turn on low bar but i was just wondering. thanks =]

It sounds sort of like a straddle back, and i think it does count as a release, but i don't know anymore because they changed the code.

I also think it sounds like a straddle back(counter-thats what they call it at our club)

If that is what it is it still counts for a release/pirouette. That is what my daughter is doing for USAG Level 8 and then you kip squat back up on bar after.

Stradle back i think. And you can do it for level 8.

if you're describing what i think you are... a girl on our team did that ... i can't remember what level she was (either 8 or 9), but she swung forward facing the low bar and just let go and dropped, grabbing low bar and then did the pirouette like you said. that was her high bar to low bar "release." i'm not sure what it's called, though!

it's not the same as a straddle back, because in a straddle back you're swinging facing away from the low bar, swing backwards, let go, your feet go over the low bar, and then you grab with your hands.

Remember that the element with release or flight has to be a B for level 8. I am really sleep-deprived and don't have my code with me, but I'm pretty sure the dropdown facing the LB is an A. You might want to check its value the next time you're at practice.

if you're describing what i think you are... a girl on our team did that ... i can't remember what level she was (either 8 or 9), but she swung forward facing the low bar and just let go and dropped, grabbing low bar and then did the pirouette like you said. that was her high bar to low bar "release." i'm not sure what it's called, though!

it's not the same as a straddle back, because in a straddle back you're swinging facing away from the low bar, swing backwards, let go, your feet go over the low bar, and then you grab with your hands.

Mind you I'm only a gym mom, not a coach or gymnast, but I think that you're referring to a "Pak Salto". The other possiblities could be a "Bail"

Here's a pak salto on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JUu3reV11Y or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSpsR4wnodU

Here's a bail on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNzFcpIw3Gc

Hope those help! Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
No, if I'm understanding correctly, there is no salto involved. It's not a Pak, straddle back, or bail. The gymnast swings forward facing the LB, stays upright, lets go of the HB, and catches the LB.

Mind you I'm only a gym mom, not a coach or gymnast, but I think that you're referring to a "Pac Salto". The other possiblities could be a "Bail" or possibly a "shoot over".

a pac salto flips around then grabs the low bar... this move is really simple, and you don't see it often! a bail and shootover also turn in the air with a half turn to grab the bar facing the other way.

alright, i found a video of it!!! this is on the old bars, natalia shaposhnikova, 1977. at 0:15 seconds, you'll see she is facing the low bar, swings forward, then drops down and grabs the low bar. no flipping or twisting. it of course would have a lot more flight with the current bars we use because they're so much farther apart.

("dropdown" at 0:15 seconds)
YouTube - SHAPOSHNIKOVA N. 1977 UB

If you're talking about the skill in which you swing facing the low bar then throw the high bar behind you and drop down to the low bar right into a kip, then I know in my gym, we call it a drop kip.

a pac salto flips around then grabs the low bar... this move is really simple, and you don't see it often! a bail and shootover also turn in the air with a half turn to grab the bar facing the other way.

alright, i found a video of it!!! this is on the old bars, natalia shaposhnikova, 1977. at 0:15 seconds, you'll see she is facing the low bar, swings forward, then drops down and grabs the low bar. no flipping or twisting. it of course would have a lot more flight with the current bars we use because they're so much farther apart.

("dropdown" at 0:15 seconds)
YouTube - SHAPOSHNIKOVA N. 1977 UB

Now I see what you mean. Sorry, have no idea what the technical term for this would be. Good luck though!

Yes! thats it. its NOT a straddle back. we work those too but its not what i was talking about

Remember that the element with release or flight has to be a B for level 8. I am really sleep-deprived and don't have my code with me, but I'm pretty sure the dropdown facing the LB is an A. You might want to check its value the next time you're at practice.

Yea it might be an A. just to clarify its not a pac salto, bail or straddle back. it is simply a let go and cathch. thanks for the advice everyone tho.

hopefully you'll be able to use it or learn another skill that will work. good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back