WAG dry needling for rehab? anyone with experience?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
This has been recommended for my dd who is having trouble with really tight calf muscles after an injury and that are not responding well to deep tissue massage and stretching. Does anyone have experience with this therapy either gymnastics related or other?

My DD's sports physio did this to aid in the treatment of pulled abdominal muscles and it went well. My DD said it didn't hurt and I can only assume it helped speed up her recovery, in combination with physiotherapy treatment and her exercise plan.

Thanks! how many sessions did it take before they felt results? She has been in PT for a few months now and it is not getting better (the tight muscles are only 1 issue. She is doing better with the other issues).

I have heard only good things. Unfortunately, we don't have it really available nearby, so if and when my kid needs it, it will be a trek.

Thanks! how many sessions did it take before they felt results? She has been in PT for a few months now and it is not getting better (the tight muscles are only 1 issue. She is doing better with the other issues).

When I had a tight neck muscle because of micro-tears of the muscle (caused when i got my last concussion) that knotted up when they repaired themselves, the 2nd neuro doctor I went to MONTHS after the concussion did dry needling to help since nothing else helped. I felt some relief after the first session. In all, it took 6 sessions to be completely better.

My daughter had this done after she pulled her hamstring. It really helped with her recovery. She was back competing way before she would have been without it

My daughter had this done after she pulled her hamstring. It really helped with her recovery. She was back competing way before she would have been without it
And my kid ended up having 2 treatments. She said trying to find the pressure point kinda hurt a little but when the muscle relaxed it was amazing.

And my kid ended up having 2 treatments. She said trying to find the pressure point kinda hurt a little but when the muscle relaxed it was amazing.
Glad it only took a couple treatments.
The only reason mine took so many was that it was a severe concussion / and micro-tears in the muscle that were affecting my memory and causing severe headaches.
The first treatment, it took 7 "stabs" to get to the trigger point (and I actually didnt feel the first 6, so he knew he missed). After the muscle calmed down, I had 90% relief from the first treatment.
After the 2nd treatment, I thought I was good to go (and I got busy) ... so I took a while to go back again. After sleeping on my neck wrong one night a few months later, it tightened back up again and I couldn't massage / stretch it out, so I made another appointment. Basically, I went once a month for the next 4 just to be sure.
The neuro said I will always have the trigger point and to do my "exercises" and heat / massage it if it tightens up again and if that doesnt work to come back. LOL, he also said not to get any more concussions, but all my docs say that ;)

Very successful results with dry needling for my DD’s back. It did not completely eliminate the problem but brought her significant relief. She still has it done about once a month (long standing, probably never ending relationship with PT).

This has been recommended for my dd who is having trouble with really tight calf muscles after an injury and that are not responding well to deep tissue massage and stretching. Does anyone have experience with this therapy either gymnastics related or other?
I’ve done acupuncture a few times, which I’m sure is pretty much the same thing as dry needling. It totally forces your muscles to relax during the treatment and it usually feels a bit better right after. You may not notice much difference right away though. By the way, I got it done on my back so it could be different.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back