Dumb level question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is moving from a gym where she was USAG level 4 to a gym that does Level 3 and competes. Now it's obviously not USAG and that is fine with me. She really needs to get the basics down and have proper form before trying to hang with the big kids..lol

Anyway, how is level changing delt with when competiting? She is really upset b.c she has level 5/6 floor skills but level 3 bar and beam. Can she compete level 3 for the three events and level 4 on floor?

It may in fact be level 3 USAG. Some gyms compete USAG level 3 but it is non-santioned.

As for level 3 vs. level 4 she can only compete one level at a time. My daughter went from about a level 2 developmental to level 4 as a result of changing gyms. She struggled in competition esp. in bars. She competed all 4 events but did not score well on bars or floor (she didn't have her ROBHS) so she just did a round off and took the deduction.

Now she is a new level 5 and is right on target with her skills.

So how did she feel not doing well at level 4 meets? My daughter will NOT be happy and that's why I found a place where they are going to teach her perfection rather than sloppy just to compete.

I am hoping she really succeeds this season and goes to level 5 next year.

It was difficult for her at times, but she ended up placing 6th on beam at her last meet. Which she still talks about today. She is so proud of that beam medal.

Many people would debate this, but she was really on the fence between level 3 and level 4. She got so many skills in the first 6 weeks at the new gym that we decided (not lightly) to move her to level 4.

Looking back on it now, she is very happy she went to level 4. She did not make states, but decided on her own to cheer on her teammates. She did not whine or complain and was the biggest cheerleader in the stands. Her teammates didn't even know she didn't make it (they thought she was sick when we got there)... Anyway, the only comment she made in the stands was "I wish I were down there." Not is sadness, but hungry.

So, there is nothing wrong with deciding to keep your DD in level 3. You just do what you think she needs. Winning is only a very small part of gymnastics.

My DD actually did 2 seasons of L3. Even though neither one of us was happy about the repeat at the time, looking back it was a good thing.

She had all of her L4 skills but her form was lacking and she was still a bit skittish about meets. 2nd time around she loved competing and wanted to be the first to go on every event. She placed well too with several AA titles.

Hindsight, L3 was good for her. She has really come out of her shell. Loves meets andno longer gets nervous about them.

We are looking forward to her L4 season

I think you have probably made the right decision

THanks for sharing that! I dont know what I would say if they wanted her to compete level 3 again, although her best interest is their best interest. I just worry about her age and being to old to really excel to a high level, which is what she hopes to do.

Hopefully she will get to uptrain a little while she is competing L3. My older DD is competing a "second" year of L4 (she started in December and got to compete only 2 L4 meets last season). Anyway, she has the L4 stuff down pat now, should have a great competition season, but is still working L5 skills so that she'll have a jump on her L5 year which will start in March!

Your DD should have an awesome L3 year and she'll really have those darn bar skills (oh how I hate that mill circle) polished nicely to be able to tackle the harder ones in L4 and L5. Bars are what hold many of our gym girls back from competing at higher levels, too. It just takes longer to get some of those skills.

Anyway, hope it all works out for her this year! Make some room for all the medals!;)

Thank you soo much madi, that makes me feel better and I think you are right. It's getting her to understand what's at stake and that she needs to get everything perfect so that she can compete like she wants to. NOt compete just for the sake of it!

I would wait to find out if she is older they may just let her compete level4 or move her up after 1or 2 meets. I know my daughters gym might move them up a level but might make them scratch 1or 2 events at that level if they do not have thier skills. I would not rush her it is possible that she may do 3 or 4 and test out of 5 or 6 it all depends.

How old is your DD?
Mine just turned 9. I am anticipating 2 years at level 4. Would be great to do just one, but I am not going to count on it. If she does do 2 years at L4 and can move one level a year after that she would be a L10 by her Jr year.

I do not think she aspires elite at this point.

I think as long as her gym also up trains she won't really be behind by doing L3. My DD has a lit of higher level skills, most need some tweaking, but she has them so the battle will be form when the time comes - not trying roger the skills. She has her BWO and cartwheel on beam. BHS on beam with a light spot. Working on kip. But has squat on jump to the high bar. She also has her flyaway with coach barely touching her. Has ROBHSBHS. Working on her back tuck. She is working on her handspring vault overthe table as well - with a spot.

I guess that is why I am not stressing about her level. She is progressing and if she can figure out how to stay tight there will be no stopping her.

I think the important thing is to take doing L3 as a positive - make the best of it. Learn how she handles meets, winning medals ( or not sometimes ) use the time to focus on the little things and as she moves up she will be that much further ahead.

Sorry didn't mean to ramble : )

Your daughter is doing amazing, congrats! My DD is going to be 8 next week and this is her 3rd month doing gymnastics ever. I am really likeing the Level 3 more and more. I know it's going to be a great stepping stone as she gets old and knowing she is learning the right way to do things is great.

When i talked to her coach yesterday she was saying exactly what you just said. They up train their athletes so they are never stuck at a skill.

You guys are a GOD sent, all the information and advice really makes a difference!

How old is your DD?
Mine just turned 9. I am anticipating 2 years at level 4. Would be great to do just one, but I am not going to count on it. If she does do 2 years at L4 and can move one level a year after that she would be a L10 by her Jr year.

I do not think she aspires elite at this point.

I think as long as her gym also up trains she won't really be behind by doing L3. My DD has a lit of higher level skills, most need some tweaking, but she has them so the battle will be form when the time comes - not trying roger the skills. She has her BWO and cartwheel on beam. BHS on beam with a light spot. Working on kip. But has squat on jump to the high bar. She also has her flyaway with coach barely touching her. Has ROBHSBHS. Working on her back tuck. She is working on her handspring vault overthe table as well - with a spot.

I guess that is why I am not stressing about her level. She is progressing and if she can figure out how to stay tight there will be no stopping her.

I think the important thing is to take doing L3 as a positive - make the best of it. Learn how she handles meets, winning medals ( or not sometimes ) use the time to focus on the little things and as she moves up she will be that much further ahead.

Sorry didn't mean to ramble : )

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back