Parents Easiest level 8 routines beam and floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MuggleMom

Proud Parent
So my kid was doing great then had some allergy issues that have limited practice and stunted progress (two months of missed or short practice) going into the season. What are some easy skills that can get her a 10 value or close on beam and floor (bars and vault are good).

Beam- has standing back handspring working on bhs/bhs series doesn’t have it yet. Should have round off tuck dismount. Switch leap split jump or other jump. full turn. Can do a bwo and cartwheel. Don’t think bwo/bhs will ever happen. Did handstand bhs in 7 didn’t always hold HS long enough.

Floor- has a front layout hasn’t connected to another front flip yet. Can do Ft/ft or pike/ft. Has round off layout half hasn’t connected to punch front yet. Could do RO/bhs/ half does not have full. Music cut for two passes and with cardio being low from being out needs to stay 2. Switch leap switch half is dance series 1.5 turn.

In house meet is in 3 weeks. We could skip or scratch events very low pressure. Just trying to get her past that hump with confidence cause then she has till Feb for first big meet. All the things she’s missing she has done before and almost had before she went out sick. Just not sure it will come back in time for in house meet.

My daughter has had ongoing beam blocks due to injuries and does BHS/BWO (in that order is easier for her to do mentally) and then an isolated BHS. Just the CW/tuck dismount (although she can do more difficult ones is too much mentally right now). Beat/split/split jumps and full turn.
She has gotten a 9.275 and a 8.950 so far. I think a 10 start with some UTL deductions, maybe?

I wouldn't worry about a 10.0 SV at an in-house meet. For my dd, I would be more likely to encourage watered down routines to reduce anxiety while still being able to participate in the meet - but she wouldn't be bothered by the low scores. Other gymnasts have a lot of anxiety surrounding low scores and may be better scratching the events or whole meet.

I think a low score on beam would be ok just depends on how low and her form on beam can be iffy so better to scratch than get in the 7s I feel like. For 8 what are the acro requirements? I know a series but does it have to be 2 flight elements?

I wouldn't worry about a 10.0 SV at an in-house meet. For my dd, I would be more likely to encourage watered down routines to reduce anxiety while still being able to participate in the meet - but she wouldn't be bothered by the low scores. Other gymnasts have a lot of anxiety surrounding low scores and may be better scratching the events or whole meet.
This. You know what’s best for your kids. Mine below if you care to read on.

My turtle errr kid is now a third year L8. First year she lost a bunch of time with an arm injury. Next year Covid, and a tweaked back. And Covid has brought out some anxiety in her that she handled better pre Covid.

Although she has bits on all events that need work, including a lost giant, if only on consistency.

Beam is her nemesis (as with a lot of kids). She never made a connection of any kind, and worked a couple. A cartwheel/tuck dismount. She was scoring between 34-35. For my kid she needs the connect to her gymmies more then the beam connection or scores. Her coaches have always been do what you can as best you can. And scratching or not competing would make her feel worse.

Resilence and her gymmies, have kept her going. And this year, healthy (fingers crossed, knock wood and prayers). She finally has gotten BHS BHS and it is OMG connected. She always waits for what seems like grass growing before going, so that’s a hit. But she is doing it connected. Round off back tuck dismount and her giant is back. And while it’s been challenges and slow, my kid who never talks gym has been talking and showing me videos. So I know she is feeling good and confident.

She finally has gotten BHS BHS and it is OMG connected. She always waits for what seems like grass growing before going, so that’s a hit. But she is doing it connected.
Not sure this will help but my dd always did her connection first, right after her mount. She would do a 3-2-1 type countdown and then go. It really helped her move on with the routine.

My DD is ready for level 8 in floor and bars, but not in beam and vault. Reading this, her beam is a LOT closer than I thought, now if we could only get vault flipped. Her timer is beautiful now that they got her up to 125 table height.

Not sure this will help but my dd always did her connection first, right after her mount. She would do a 3-2-1 type countdown and then go. It really helped her move on with the routine.
I love this idea. She however is incredibly resistant to change. But heck it can’t hurt to plant a seed. Maybe via her HS coach.

My older, now retired, DD did a bhs-backwalkover series for level 8 after a mental block from a broken wrist on bhs-bhs. Something to think about since she needs a series with flight? If the bhs-bhs isn’t ready? Could also do the handstand-bhs. I think both with have a slight UTL deduction, but that’s it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back