Parents Eating with a 5:45 meet start time?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TumbleTimes4

Proud Parent
For one of our upcoming meets, DD has a session time of 5:45. So we will be arriving at the meet at 5 to register and do a bathroom break. This is our first evening session start time and I know she won’t be done until at least 8:00 so my question is, how do you handle dinner? Is it best to do big, breakfast, midday snack, and early dinner or regular breakfast, lunch, and then pack several protein snacks in her bag during the meet?

We would do big breakfast, regular lunch, and light dinner with protein and carbs at 4:00 somewhere very close to the meet venue. Then a banana right before open stretch, an applesauce pouch after the second rotation if she remembered, snacks in the bag for awards, and probably a second dinner after awards depending on the length of the drive home and the general level of hangriness.

I would not count on her eating snacks during the meet. Our girls don't generally eat their snacks until awards.

unfortunately, we have had a lot of experience with this. dd likes to get up late (teen), have a light breakfast, a good late afternoon lunch (2-3ish), snacks during the meet if she is hungry, and then she usually wants to eat after the meet - yes, sometimes as late as 10pm - :eek:

My kid would do a lighter breakfast, regular but early lunch around 11 or 11:30 and regular but early dinner around 4 or 4:30.

This is actually close to my DDs regular practice time so this one would be easier for me to plan!

Regular breakfast, regular lunch, light dinner around 4 or 4:30, and snacks or a 2nd light dinner after the meet.

When I pack snacks for meets she never touches them until she is done with all of her events.

Regular breakfast and lunch ( might have it later then usual) Snack before meet. Protein and quick carb. She likes those protein snack packs lately. They have turkey or ham, cheese, fruit, nuts.

They usually nosh using awards.

Snack/lite dinner after meet.

We don’t stress it much. She eats plenty, the occasional off day is fine

Timed out. We are late eaters here. As husband and her don’t get home until 7:15. So for us that kind of start time is the business as usual time. It’s the first session that kills us.

Last meet she had an early report. Had 2 bowls of cereal ( which shocked me), followed by brunch, then late lunch and a huge dinner :eek:

So it wasn’t shocking he day after she ate light.

Reactions: sce
This is basically my boys practice schedule, (5:15- 8:30 or 9) so we do this every day. What we do is just regular meal times/amounts for breakfast and lunch, and a reasonably filling late afternoon snack that includes protein as well as carbs about an hour before practice (or meet.) And then they eat dinner when they get home. (Or at restaurant if it is a meet.)
Definitely pack some bars (probably will not need more than one, though) in her bag, just in case, and if needed, check into local to the meet restaurants to make sure there is something good that will be open a little late.

This time is very similar to my dd regular practice hours so I would do the normal routine of normal breakfast and normal lunch, a snack at 4/4.30 ish trying to get some lasting carbs in like flapjack or oat energy balls (or just at least something as my dd is notoriously difficult to get to eat before gym)
Then she has her regular evening meal after gym.

We had a 5:45 start time this weekend. The girls had an early light lunch and an early dinner at 4 (as much as they felt comfortable eating).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back