WAG El grip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

guys get into this grip by "jamming" or by Higgins. although Memmel (girls) could do both of those also.

eagle grip doesn't take much strength or flexibility. L grip does and you can ruin your shoulders if your anatomy is not correct.

the "Chinese" test. you hang on the bar with your hands backwards. in other words, both arms extended in front of you and you rotate your arms counter clockwise until your elbows are pointed up.

when you grab the bar, the left thumb will be pointed away from the body and the right to the right. then you hang.

the test? you slide your hands against each other until the little fingers touch one another...then you hang. and hang...and hang.

if they can do this they are candidates for L grip. if they can't they'll eventually have shoulder surgery if they try regardless.

guys get into this grip by "jamming" or by Higgins. although Memmel (girls) could do both of those also.

eagle grip doesn't take much strength or flexibility. L grip does and you can ruin your shoulders if your anatomy is not correct.

the "Chinese" test. you hang on the bar with your hands backwards. in other words, both arms extended in front of you and you rotate your arms counter clockwise until your elbows are pointed up.

when you grab the bar, the left thumb will be pointed away from the body and the right to the right. then you hang.

the test? you slide your hands against each other until the little fingers touch one another...then you hang. and hang...and hang.

if they can do this they are candidates for L grip. if they can't they'll eventually have shoulder surgery if they try regardless.

So, for a kiddo with wide, thick, shoulders...eagle is a better way to go? D can't jam...so he is working the roll.

yes. for those boys they do eagle hop out to piro. it meets the requirement. :)

Even if you have the right anatomy, I would think there is still an increased risk for shoulder injury.

Even if you have the right anatomy, I would think there is still an increased risk for shoulder injury.

Having already had a shoulder injury 3 years ago....I know he doesn't want to do it again.

So- if you have a kid that already has shoulder problems (grew really fast, bulked up quickly and totally lost the little bit of shoulder flexibility he had. Has had tendonitis in his shoulder a few times with right now being the worst it has been)- is there away of preventing injury and trying to get eagle grip?

eagle giants are pretty safe. i did them back in the 60's and 70's. but i was not able to "invert". i had the wrong body type for those. my shoulders are fine today.

if he stays away from "inverts" he'll be fine. most boys have shoulder "itis" from rings. :)

Reactions: sce
Thanks! I'll pass that along to him - since I am lost and will need him to explain 'invert'! ;)

Pretty sure this round of tendonitis can be blamed on rings- overuse while he wasnt fully training on his knee!

Would like to have him in one piece at some point- seems he just keeps going from injury to injury to injury....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back