Parents Elbow Fracture - What to Expect

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NY Dad

Proud Parent
Yesterday I was asking opinions about my DD’s shoot through. (Thanks everyone for all the feedback). Right now it’s the last thing on my mind.

Today my DD (7 years old) fractured her humerus above the elbow (supracondylar) at the gym (she’s still at the ER with my DW.) The doctor aligned the bones but did not perform surgery (pins). He said due to significant swelling it may be needed (when the swelling goes down the bone could slip) For the next 2-3 weeks we'll need to get periodic X-rays . They said the bone will heal in about 3 months but I think they want to take a wait-and-see attitude about when she can return to her normal activities.

I’m wondering if anyone else has been through this or a similar injury. Any insights regarding what we should expect over the next few weeks/months would really be appreciated (or any other thoughts) I'm also very happy to receive well wishes for my DD.

Thanks in advance!

Oh that s@cks. No help with elbows though.

As a rule kids mend quickly.

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's injury! I can relate to your post, my daughter had OCD in both elbows with surgery at ages 8 and 9 years old. I also have a friend whose daughter had an elbow fracture. She did not have surgery and sought out 4 opinions. Her rest period was 16 weeks , but was able to come into the gym for conditioning and eventually some no handed skills. Following the 16 week rest period , she progressed back slowly and 7 years later she has never had an issue with the elbow again and will be off to college next year on a gymnastics scholarship. Stay positive and best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.

So sorry! My dd fractured her elbow at 7. It was a very mild fracture compared to your dd; it was only casted for 3 weeks and then in a sling for a couple more before she was able to start easing back into things. She was able to compete a month after the cast was removed.

The biggest issue for her was that she lost a lot of mobility in her elbow during those 3 weeks. When the cast came off it was super stiff and it took about 3 weeks of physical therapy before she could straighten it again. That said, she did regain all mobility within a few months, and ended up just as hypermobile as ever.

She did not miss practice while she was recovering. Her coaches had her do a ton of conditioning, stretching, etc. She worked on jumps and leaps on tumble track, etc. She lost strength in her arms and shoulders but maintained the rest. Two months after her cast came off I'd say she was back to her pre-injury strength.

I hope your dd heals quickly and completely!

So sorry! My dd fractured her elbow at 7. It was a very mild fracture compared to your dd; it was only casted for 3 weeks and then in a sling for a couple more before she was able to start easing back into things. She was able to compete a month after the cast was removed.

The biggest issue for her was that she lost a lot of mobility in her elbow during those 3 weeks. When the cast came off it was super stiff and it took about 3 weeks of physical therapy before she could straighten it again. That said, she did regain all mobility within a few months, and ended up just as hypermobile as ever.

She did not miss practice while she was recovering. Her coaches had her do a ton of conditioning, stretching, etc. She worked on jumps and leaps on tumble track, etc. She lost strength in her arms and shoulders but maintained the rest. Two months after her cast came off I'd say she was back to her pre-injury strength.

I hope your dd heals quickly and completely!
We had a girl with an elbow injury as well. Do not know the severity but it seemed like she was out a few months. Nevertheless, she was in the gym in her cast doing conditioning and strength wherever possible. Not only does it help the conditioning it's good for the psyche by staying connected to her team and the gym.

We had a girl with an elbow injury as well. Do not know the severity but it seemed like she was out a few months. Nevertheless, she was in the gym in her cast doing conditioning and strength wherever possible. Not only does it help the conditioning it's good for the psyche by staying connected to her team and the gym.
so sorry to hear of the injury. hopefully she will not be in too much pain. I was shocked when my dd had her fracture injury that she wasn't in all that much pain. Basic advil took care of it. Wondering if it is just a higher tolerance for pain due to the constant overuse/contact pain in daily practice.

yes - most teams will want the injured gymnasts at practice, doing what they can and conditioning when they cant. She will have the strongest core and legs around when she finally gets back to gymnastics skills! In terms of general expectations, you should expect a doubling of the recovery period. So if she is casted for 8 weeks, then another 8 weeks of rehab, easing back into skills. Exception would be full non-weightbearing for an extended period of time foe a leg injury, because you have so much muscle atrophy. Also, higher level gymnasts tend to take longer due to the skill level and potential fears involved.

all true. she'll be fine in a couple months. :)

Sorry to hear this! My DD is on the other side of breaking two bones in her leg. When you are in the middle of it all, it is hard to imagine when it will be something in the past. But it will!

When she is able, she should go to the gym during her regular time to condition and do what she can without risking her recovery.

Ugh! So sorry! Wishing your DD a speedy recovery...

No elbow injuries in our past, but in the last three years my DD has had a broken radius & ulna at age 6 (pre-team), open fracture of the big toe (surgery required) at age 7 (Xcel bronze), and an avulsion fracture of the foot (boot) this year at age 8 (L4). Only one was a gym injury -- the others were just bad luck. In all cases, she kept going to gym for conditioning, and ultimately these injuries did not substantially prevent progress (i.e., she was able to progress levels each year despite the recovery time). Kids heal quickly and are very resilient. Best of luck!!

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I can't tell you how much everyone's well wishes/good vibes and other feedback mean to me an my DD.

I read all of them to my DD (except GymDad9.9 b/c it came in after bedtime). My DD asked if anyone else is going to write, I said we can check again in a few days.) She was very encouraged by everyone's comments and it definitely helped for her to hear about others that have been through this and it was only a minor setback (in the grand scheme of things)

Please say it was not done while doing bars
No, my now I think you already know it was on beam. Hopefully she won't have new fears when she comes back.

my daughter had OCD in both elbows
My DD is on the other side of breaking two bones in her leg.
After I was done reading the comments the first thing my DD said was that she was lucky it wasn't her good arm or a leg.

When you are in the middle of it all, it is hard to imagine when it will be something in the past. But it will!
I know this was directed at me but I tried to explain this to my DD but she didn't quite get it. Maybe I wasn't selling it enough.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back