WAG Eleven year olds

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Blocks have not been too much of an issue here. It's more frustration with not getting skills. The cast handstand inconsistently is getting her way more upset than it should.

She skipped L6 this year (only 2 girls skipped) and our gym does not typically skip levels so it's not like they were working them in L5. Plus she has other skills her teammates don't. I just wish she would be more patient. I'm like celebrate the giants and Yurchenko, stop focusing on the negative or quit. It's driving me nuts.

Yep, they are big problem for her, something about her rib placement that's just not clicking. She said it took her 50 minutes to get 5 handstands. Then cried about (again) on the way home. I keep telling her she will get it but that just makes her more upset.

My DD is fast closing in on 13, and so far I'd say 11-12.5 were the toughest years so far. Not only was (is...?) she growing at a faster rate, but coupled with 'typical' middle school issues, insecurities really set in. Instead of shrugging off a bad day, she came home crying a lot "I'm just not a good gymnast" and "I suck" and "my coaches hate me" and "I'm never ever going to get my xx" and "I just want to quit!". It was a rough road.

I'm hoping so much that we're starting to emerge on the other side of it, though I suspect with a teenager some will stick around to some degree.

She has just recently become more positive and optimistic. I am really hoping it sticks around awhile.... she's gained quite a bit of height and weight over the past couple years, but only about 1" in the last 6 months - I'm hoping it means a lot of the number of accelerated growth spurts may slow a bit, and that she can have some time to "settle" into her size a bit. I don't think the crazy (for her) growth has helped. ;) (she's grown 3" in the past 12 months, and grew about 3 inches in the previous 12).

She is 11.5 so it sounds like I have a long way to go:oops::eek:

I haven't been keeping track of her height but I know I bought her all new pants the day after Christmas and last weekend I had to do it again as they all looked like Capri's. I also had to borrow a warm up jacket the last meet because the arms were way too short so there's that.

I'm glad you are seeing the end of it!

She is 11.5 so it sounds like I have a long way to go:oops::eek:

I haven't been keeping track of her height but I know I bought her all new pants the day after Christmas and last weekend I had to do it again as they all looked like Capri's. I also had to borrow a warm up jacket the last meet because the arms were way too short so there's that.

I'm glad you are seeing the end of it!

We've always kept track of height to some degree (using highly scientific wall markings, lol)... But as I'm not a tall person myself and I often do her hair, it's been quite obvious when she grows, so we'd mark it and date it... Yesterday, my mom took a picture of us and sent it to me and DD looks nearly as tall as me in it, so last night was the first time I've actually broken out the measuring tape, LOL! She's almost 5'! :eek:

Anyway, thanks! I hope it's not false hope... o_O;) Though DD went from "I suck and want to quit yesterday" to "I wonder if I can beat my record AA" and making comments like "If I can make L8 next year..." so that's been nice. Hopefully your daughter won't suffer as long as mine - my DD was born quite feisty, ha!

I'd say the few months after turning 12 were the toughest (after 6th grade), though I imagine each kid is different.

It really makes you appreciate it when they're positive, though!

My 8, 9, and 11 year old daughters all do gym. My 8 and 9 yo are both in tops and are levels 7 and 8. My 11 yo on the other hand, is not in tops and is level 5/6. She gets very stressed out when her younger sisters can do more than her- and I don't blame her. Whenever she can't get a skill and has a mental block she complains and complains, and don't get me started on the tears. Last year she was completely fine with it but now she just can't take it.

My 8, 9, and 11 year old daughters all do gym. My 8 and 9 yo are both in tops and are levels 7 and 8. My 11 yo on the other hand, is not in tops and is level 5/6. She gets very stressed out when her younger sisters can do more than her- and I don't blame her. Whenever she can't get a skill and has a mental block she complains and complains, and don't get me started on the tears. Last year she was completely fine with it but now she just can't take it.

I feel for you big time!

Hi I'm a gymnast, I totally understand what she is going through you should just tell her that everything will still be okay if you don't get the skill. Tell her that she doesn't need to think about it too much she should know what to do then make her mind blank. Tell to repeat what she is going to do in her head try and make her think about all the steps into the skill that's how I get all my skills it helps me a lot I hope this helps her . Also my grammar is terrible sorry.

My daughter is 11 1/2 as well and ohhhh the frustration. She also skipped level 6 (AND we moved this summer to a new state so also a new gym).. She is struggling with the cast handstand- extremely inconsistent getting vertical. The tears and frustration... She was always my more calm, easy going kiddo... Not anymore! She is doing fairly well on all of the other events but cannot break through to the 9s on bars- mostly due to the handstand. Sadly, bars had always been one of her strengths in compulsories so that is not helping her frustration. The other girls on her team (well most of them) have beautiful cast handstands but they are also extremely slender and she is more solid. Not big- just a more solid build so I'm not sure if that is part of the problem. Praying she gets this before States....

Hi I'm a gymnast, I totally understand what she is going through you should just tell her that everything will still be okay if you don't get the skill. Tell her that she doesn't need to think about it too much she should know what to do then make her mind blank. Tell to repeat what she is going to do in her head try and make her think about all the steps into the skill that's how I get all my skills it helps me a lot I hope this helps her . Also my grammar is terrible sorry.

Please come back when you are 14, we are not allowed to have younger gymmies here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back