WAG Elite: the new "shaposh-like" rules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have several girls that do back uprises (no shaposh though... just as an extra B for high school or L8). We have a L5 training L6 that has had an uprise for over a year. I think there are at least 10 - 12 girls in our gym that do them :)

At my gym we teach uprises to the girls too. In some cases as a save incase a high bar skill goes wrong - for example some of our girls who have only recently got their high bar upstart/kip have been taught to uprise so that if they miss the upstart they can uprise and still get credit for a move so they don't get a short routine.

At the Las Vegas meet, I saw more uprises out of shaposh-type skills than I had ever seen before. They were suprisingly very well executed even though it's a hard skill. I did see around 3-5 paks after a shaposh as well.

We saw it a lot in Quebec, even at lower levels. Another kip alternative. Often seen was back uprise to back hip circle.

I used to compete it. It's not that hard once you get the timing right. It was an easy B skill. Here you can compete it from P5 level, with is about level 5 in the us instead of a kip. With the back hip circle that is easy to connect, it's used by gymnasts who have a hard time connecting the kip and the dismount.

Shaposh to:
Uprise/Stalder/both to full blind
Immediate wrong grip Jaeger (Fontaine)
To giant (has been done)
To giant full (has been done)
To blind (has been done)
To bail
To Pak
To Bardwaj
To Peach (stalder like downhill done 30 years ago)
To Reverse grip down to low bar catch Endo (banned skill now. Mary Wright's gymnast whose name has now escaped me & another gymnast from Scats)
To Geinger
To Tkatchev

That's it off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaposh to:
Uprise/Stalder/both to full blind
Immediate wrong grip Jaeger (Fontaine)
To giant (has been done)
To giant full (has been done)
To blind (has been done)
To bail
To Pak
To Bardwaj
To Peach (stalder like downhill done 30 years ago)
To Reverse grip down to low bar catch Endo (banned skill now. Mary Wright's gymnast whose name has now escaped me & another gymnast from Scats)
To Geinger
To Tkatchev

That's it off the top of my head.

i remembered. Monica Shaw. Fuller Frenz is the other gymnast from Scats...but she changed her first name when she got to Utah. anyway, Monica's wasn't from Shaposh but i thought you would enjoy the combo anyway. it's crazy hard...yet looks so simple. enjoy!

well, Fuller had changed her name to Alyssa. i can't find her routine when she was coached by Rick (Big Kahuna) at Scats. but this bar routine is noteworthy being 1995 and the bars are REAL close even spread all the way out. enjoy!

here's the original. 1979. look at how close the bars were then. 160cm at that time. couldn't cast to handstand with legs together or she would hit the high bar with her legs. couldn't cast above the low bar even straddled to handstand or her legs would hit the high bar on the way down for the drop. THAT'S how close the bars were. couldn't stretch the way you see us do them today. if she was stretched she would have hit her rear end on the low bar. think of the obstacles...what an athlete she was. also notice the Deltchev.

Such a difficult routine. She is my absolute favourite ever gymnast. Lovely on every piece.

@dunno do you think it is possible to reverse catch a shap into immediate front giants?

I love the shap into clear hip / stalder full.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back