Parents Emily's Level 5 State :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Let me say this past month has been very challenging as Emily has struggled with a mental block on the damn round off back handspring again. She has been stopping after her round off for the past month and not connecting. We don't know why but she will do it about 50% of the time right now and other times just go right into it. Well.... This past week it has been very stressful. She had to spend all of Wednesday's practice doing 20 round off back handspring back handsprings which made her miss 1/2 of their bar rotation. Then they told her if she balks it during warm up at state the coach was either walking out onto the floor during her routine or they were going to scratch her from floor.
Well anyway, onto States which was Yesterday...
She started on beam. She has been nailing beam lately and looking awesome after her 9.325 2 weeks ago... She was doing great and then it happened... She fell on her Cartwheel... ugh... not a good way to start but she got back up and finished strong...
8.75... Not bad:) I was so glad it wasn't a low 8.
Okay now onto floor.... ugh.... warmups... round off stop... ugh ugh.... 10 more times...
round off stop... no connection. Then our team is still warming up and ex team finishes beam and starts to warm up between girls competing and our team is done with warm ups except for Emily. Coach is making her still attempt her round off back handspring series. Emily is crying... ugh ugh ugh...
Well the Coach has her go over and sit near the corner to try another pass between competitors.... Then an ex Coach of Emily's just says a few things to Emily before she goes and attempts her round off 2 back handsprings...
This next time... she connects it!!! Okay finally Emily gets to sit down by her team and wait to compete.
She finally gets on floor and does her routine. A little less clean than normal but not bad... damn nerves... But she does make her round off two backhandspring connections and gets an 8.65. At this point I don't care about the floor score this meet because at least she made the connections.
Okay onto Vault which has been one of Emily's 2 strongest events this season.
Our smaller level 5s warm up first... Emily is one of the tallest in this group of girls competing for our team... Ages broken up into two sessions so this session was 7, 8, 9 and 12 year olds... We only have one 12 year old on our team and she has been injured this entire year so hasn't competed once... so this session only had our 7, 8 and 9 year olds. Okay so the smaller girls warm up first at a lower vault height....
Then Emily and another girl and another girl from another team get to warm up at a higher height.... Emily was vaulting okay but not as good as she normally does and neither is the other girl from our team... Only 3 of them warming up... Emily is totally out of breath because it is one front handspring after another... ugh... Let her catch her breath.... then Coach lowers the vault table again and Emily and her teammate and the other girl vault there... Much Much Much better body position..
Then 2 sec break... Time to compete ugh... Then... Her teammate goes first... Vault still at the last height they were warming up at... She does good... Time for Emily to go... What... She is still out of breath... And then our coach raises the table... I am like ugh... She wasn't warming up good at that height why is she raising the table up???? However... Emily vaults... awesome!!!!! 9.025 highest score all year for her:) I was proud of her.
Now bars... She gets up nice clean routine and they were scoring pretty tough... 9.075...
Okay placing...
Beam... NOne:( But she fell so it is expected...
Floor... none:( This one I felt she was robbed... Saw many routines much much sloppier than hers and they scored higher...
Vault: 2nd place state Champion!!!!!!!!! Another 2nd place for Emily on Vault... All year... 1st or 2nd on Vault:) Wow!!!!!!!!
Bars: 3rd place State Champion!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!
All Around: 4th place:) Not bad with a fall on beam and having problems with floor:)
I am so glad to say goodbye to level 5 floor music and level 5.... Onto level 6 and and a bunch more fear issues but she will get over them... I am already worried about the back walkover on beam and the fly away...
But she will get them... I am glad state is over with because Emily needs a competition break and time to just train again so new stuff and move on!!!!!
She already has a great round off back handspring back tuck... did them 2 weeks ago even with the block issue still going on with great height and power...
Vault:) It Will just keep getting better
Bars... Fly away scares me for her and baby giant might scare her...
Beam... only back walkover my concern but she had it a few months ago but they haven't been working it since they started competing but she will get it back... She loves full turns on beam and loves the level 6 beam dismount so I know we already have them:)
Okay I will have videos later tonight.....!!!!!!
Thank you for all the support and this board rocks:) I love ya all!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry I wanted to send it 1/2 way through before I accidently hit something or something and deleted it... I finished it now though:)

oh I forgot to mention that this meet was in Wichita, Kansas and welll monster huge snow storm... Felt like a January meet and not states... All the girls made it though and we of course stayed both Friday night and last night...
Okay... Our team also did great... We took 4th over all... But got our highest team score of the year with a 111.65:) Not bad with all first year level 5s on our team. The 3 teams that took 1-3 had about 5-6 repeat level 5s on each team who actually scored in the 35s and 36s last year... Why they are repeating level 5 another year is beyond me but we held our own:)

What a great job she did despite the stress of her BHS, she must be so proud having nailed it at the meet. To see her crying before the floor rotation must've been very tough.

Roll on L6, those skills will come quickly, her bars is already strong and she always looks so good up on beam. Our girls say they find the BWO easier then the CW, I can see why.

Tell her I think she did great, I have loved her vault all year. Great reulsts.

Thanks for finishing the report, I couldn't believe it just ended there!!!!

WOW! Way to go Emily! What a little trooper for stikcing with it and connecting her bhs... Nice vault score too!

Level 6 was a good level for Beetle, the BWO was no problem that dreaded full turn was the problem LOL!

The 3 teams that took 1-3 had about 5-6 repeat level 5s on each team who actually scored in the 35s and 36s last year... Why they are repeating level 5 another year is beyond me but we held our own:)

Wow! 1st of all what a rollercoaster ride of a meet! I'm out of breath just reading it. Congratulations to Emily for getting over her fear issue on floor and way to go finishing 4th AA at States!

Now as far as why those teams have repeating L5s who scored well last year, they may have no Level 6 team. Our gym opts out of L6 (doing just 1 meet at 6) then moves on to L7. So, if a gymmie is not ready for L7 (has all their skills for it) then they'll repeat L5 and work up skills for L7 the next season. That being said, we only have 1 repeating L5 on our team out of 10 girls this year. It can be frustrating to go up against a team of all repeaters though.

Congrats to Emily!!! She has done so well this season. I am so proud of her for overcoming that fear and doing her ROBHSBHS during her routine. Whatever her old coach said to her, it worked. I love that her coach helped her out right there at the meet. Very sweet, made me cry. :D

I think she will do great at level 6. Abby lands her BWO on beam more often than her cartwheel, and I have seen many girls do the same. LOL. You would think the cartwheel is easier, but on beam it isn't. :D Bars, she will rock. Don't stress. :)

Congrats to Emily again on a great season and states!! Can't wait to see her videos.

Also, have you guys looked at Doc Ali's site? Maybe that will help her with the mental blocks. Ask Doc Ali

Wow!! Great jobe with 4th AA even with a fall!! She did awesome!!! I agree the back walkover on beam is much better than the cartwheel. She will do great! Congrats!!!

I didn't manage to get the videos up last night. I will get them up tonight:):) or do my darndest too anyway:)
I am excited about practice tonight and level 6 skills:)

Congratulations to Emily! So glad that she landed that bhs/bhs connection and had a great vault and bars. On to Level 6! I have to agree about the bwo on beam - my dd falls far less often on the bwo than on the cartwheel and she's been practicing cartwheels for six months now. I am sure she will have no problem getting all her L6 skills. I am so ready for Level 5 to be over but we have another month and half.

Anyway, congrats again to Emily!

Meg

Nice job!!:) Congratulations to Emily for overcoming her mental block. So nice when they finally conquer that mountain and plow right through.:D Great scores!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back