Coaches Equipment questions for coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natasha

Proud Parent
I have a few questions regarding coaching and equipment for a mid to upper level optional Level gymnast: Please answer these questions assuming that I understand that it is less than ideal, but that there are no "ideal" choices available at this time.
1. Is a foam floor with an additional spring tumbling strip okay? Is there anything to be wary about as far as injuries, over-use, etc and concerns about practicing on one and competing on spring floor?
2. How essential is a pit? Can a foam resi substitute for this for most things or not really?
3. How important is it to have continuity in coaching? In other words, having one FT coach (for the group) with an assistant vs. having multiple part time coaches (So 5 different coaches working with the group anywhere from 1 to 4 days on different events- resulting in 2-3 different coaches per event.
4. Finally, if you had to rank order the above 3 questions, which would you give priority to?

Thanks for your time and input!

Question 1 -equipment- I think you really need a full sized spring floor once you get to optionals because the routine must cover the floor. There could be an issue with choreography if you practice all the dance on a foam floor and then put the tumbling just onto the spring floor and only put the 2 together when you get to competition there could be a problem. On the issue of foam pits, I think they are very important to learn tumbling skills. We are a small gym and do not have a pit, but, I take the kids over to another gym 2 times a month to use theirs.
Question 2- coaching- The gym that I work at has 1 head coach, he works with the boys and opt girls, 1 asst. coach(me) I work with opt., comp, and preteam girls. I also work with the cheer group for tumbling and fill in for some rec classes. We have several other part time coaches and they usually work with their same groups. Now the gym my oldest dd goes to does the coaching differently because they are a way bigger gym. They do have a head coach for each group but, they will have a bar coach, a floor coach , a vault coach, a beam coach, and sometimes a conditioning coach. The kids may rotate through the events but the coaches stay. The coaches have specialized in that event and are certified for that level. This works well, I think for a big gym. Both ways I think have their pros and cons, but if done well, both can produce results.

@dmtyv- I think event coaching can work well when that is each coach's specialty. I guess my question is more about having 2-3 coaches for each event but on different days. How important, if at all, is it to have consistency on each event?

@dmtyv- I think event coaching can work well when that is each coach's specialty. I guess my question is more about having 2-3 coaches for each event but on different days. How important, if at all, is it to have consistency on each event?
At my oldest dd's gym this is the way it works for employees. You are assigned a station for the shift. Most coaches are certified for more than 1 level and can do more than 1 event, so as a coach you may be assigned beam that shift and you may coach lv1 beam for 20 min, then lv 4 beam for ,20min, then rec beam for 20, etc staying on beam the whole shift. The next day you may be assigned floor. Coaching floor lv 2, then 5 , then 3, etc. This works well for large gyms because they can save time setting up equipment. They can also control class flow. As long as the coaches are certified and know the routines and drills, I wouldn't worry about if suzie has coach amy for bars and coach ted for vault for 1 night and then coach suzie for beam another night and coach brian for bars another night. She will eventually get to know all the coaches. I think some kids do well with 1 coach and a small gym because a trust is built. Some kids are the opposite and will use that trust as a crutch to not try new things. It just depends on the kid.

I don't like the idea of switching coaches around. How do you continue momentum with a kid when somebody else jumps in and offers up a correction that doesn't click for the kid. Being certified only means competence at a level and has nothing to do with the style and working relationship between a coach and gymnast. Done right..... it's everything.

A pit and knowing how to use one is the next thing on my list. Sure, you can do a lot without one but it really makes a difference when working many skills. Less wear and tear, and a few extra lives..... if you know what I mean.

The foam floor is not such a big deal. All of the tumbling can be worked on a spring strip and "full" dance throughs canbe done on the foam floor. I've seen it work..... sort of.

I don't like the idea of switching coaches around. How do you continue momentum with a kid when somebody else jumps in and offers up a correction that doesn't click for the kid. Being certified only means competence at a level and has nothing to do with the style and working relationship between a coach and gymnast. Done right..... it's everything.

I agree, Iwanna, and the gym I coach at has maybe 2 coaches with each level and thats it. But, my oldest dds gym does the rotation thing with great sucsess. Their rotation through the events goes smoother cause there is no set up. I can see the meritts of their system. They have a "right way of doing things" including corrections. If the kid does not conform then the pressure to get it right can stress a kid out, esspescially if all the other kids do get it. That kind of pressure works well on some kids. The drive can make them correct themselves. It just is a different style.

Thanks for the input. I think one of the main concerns I have with the rotating coaches is that they do have different degrees of expertise and experience and different ways of approaching things. OTHH, my dd has had numerous injuries in the past 2 years, so I am leery about any training environment that could contribute further to injuries.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back