Evaluating new gyms-Memphis TN

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My Dh is considering a career move that will take us to Memphis. We will probably be doing a visit soon to the area. I would like to go ahead and scout out gyms as well. We would be located around the Germantown area. What should I look for when evaluating a gym? I would like a professional, safe environment that is also competitive. DD is 4 and in her advanced class. DS is 6 and level 2. DS isn't as into it as much as DD. He has a lot of fun though!

Gymstars Gymnastics & Cheer Center

This is a very competitive gym in the Memphis area. I think it's in Collierville, which is just about 10 minutes from Memphis. Your dd is very young, but 35 of their gymnasts have received full scholarships for gymnastics in college. I know of 2 girls from my area (3 1/2 hours from there) that are level 10's who compete for them. They feel it is worth it to make that drive 3 days a week.

I know of 2 girls from my area (3 1/2 hours from there) that are level 10's who compete for them. They feel it is worth it to make that drive 3 days a week.

Holy smokes. I wouldn't drive 3.5 hours everyday to have my daughter coached by....well, whoever the premiere gymnastics coach these days is. 7 hours on the road every day?????? That's unfathomable.

I would look at all of the problems you hear of here on chalk bucket, and even some of the good things and see if that gym as them.
- Nice coaches
- good coaches
- fairness to all levels (don't only pay attention to one level)
- equipment
- facility size
- price
- success (at meets)
- how many gymnasts are at a high level ( you don't want a gym that has never had a 9/10 or they won't be able to get your gymnasts to that point if she ever wanted to)
- safety
- distance from where you plan on living
- training schedule
* this is just a list of some things I can think of, some of these may not matter to you*

Those are all good questions, but I think the important thing to keep in mind is that she is just 4 years old! I think I would focus more on which gym offers the most "fun" class for her at her age. What are the coaches like at these younger age groups? Do they actually LIKE children??? Are all of the activities age appropriate?

In all honesty, I wouldn't be looking at things like optional girls receiving scholarships to guage the qualify of a preschool program... at least not yet. Focus on where she is right now and where she would be happy right now. No one can see what the future may bring, and many girls do eventually switch gyms at some point in their gymnastics career. You may face another job relocation at some point as well.... just make sure she is happy whereever she is.

Thanks for the recs. I was eyeing gymstars. The reason I want it to be competitive is that I feel like they will teach her skills the correct way, as opposed to the more "fun" gyms. She was in a "fun" type program and thank goodness got moved into advanced. She was having "fun" but didn't learn any skills. And our current gym is the only one within an hour driving.

Start with a gym with strong preschool programmes, and a range of classes and times, that is close to your home and look like FUN. She is four years old, that is all she needs,

The reason I want it to be competitive is that I feel like they will teach her skills the correct way, as opposed to the more "fun" gyms. She was in a "fun" type program and thank goodness got moved into advanced. She was having "fun" but didn't learn any skills. And our current gym is the only one within an hour driving.

If she's in a GOOD preschool program, she will learn the correct form but the emphasis should still be on her having fun at this point. If she continues to have fun and fall in love with the sport, that will help carry her through the times when she is on team and skiills get harder, scarier and t ake longer to learn. A gym that is focusing too much on competition this early will burn her out. Seen it happen over and over.

I believe that Wimbleton is the only gym in the area with a competitive boys' program. River City, SEGA and Gymstars are all worth checking out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back