Event Finals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think the confusing part was she call the "upside down one" an inverted cross.

That's what it is though! It's a cross, or crucifix, inverted.

Are we talking about the unimpeachable Christine Still here?

Less of the "kooky". The US is a bit odd with your kips (where exactly does that come from, all I think of is kippers) and back handsprings, but we manage not to laugh or call you names ;)

Oh, I thought it was fine! Just confused ;) One was inverted cross, and the other was crucifix. So it was just different :) didn't really bother me at all..I love hearing all the different terms :)

That's what it is though! It's a cross, or crucifix, inverted.

Less of the "kooky". The US is a bit odd with your kips (where exactly does that come from, all I think of is kippers) and back handsprings, but we manage not to laugh or call you names ;)

and the kooky wasn't from me! LOL. I loved her commentary....

I can see how Simone didn't win because her D score is low in her second vault. Her form is great.

I don't really see how Paseka beat the gymnast from the PRK (sorry not familiar with her but her vaults were great). From what I recall they literally did the exact same vaults, both of them stepped and the PRK gymnast had her legs together. I think Paseka's amanar was slightly higher and straighter, but not sure enough to offset her second vault. In real time from the side her amanar looked pretty good. Keep in mind that on the amanars alone Simone definitely won even with a big hop. From what I remember and I'm too lazy to look it up, Maria and the PRK gymnast both then did a roundoff entry, half on, 1.5 off (piked...ish). I thought PRK was clearly better but maybe that's why I'm not a brevet judge. Simone does a roundoff half on, laid out half off.

Not sure about the bars either, again guess I'm not a judge. I could see Madison and Vika tying for first and Fang Yilin and Daria tying for second honestly, but that's it. I didn't pay that much attention to the D scores though which I guess could have offset what I saw in execution, STILL I don't really understand statistically with that many judges and a D and E score how four people could all tie for first with judges working independently. But all right. I'm happy for them because I want everybody to win, it just isn't logical to me. Daria's routine is awesome but on that attempt she did miss a bunch of handstands. Fang Yilin also great but some amplitude issues. Madison and Vika have strong routines that had minimal issues in those attempts. But while I didn't remember the math, maybe Daria and Fang Yilin did have such higher D scores to offset those execution errors relative to Maddie and Vika. Still I'm a little confused about how it really ended up with not even one person just getting a 15.4.

I thought the commentator on the thing I watched was nice but she really didn't know what was going on. Someone did a tusk double and she called it a handspring 1.5 or full. I'm also pretty sure she kept saying Simone did a full off on her second vault (she doesn't). She kept making me think I was losing my mind until they'd do the replay and after a few times I figured out she didn't have the greatest handle on what was going on with vault.

I have to say that, much as I love Max's gymnastics, I secretly wanted Louis to get this one. He has been such a pioneer and done so much for the sport, but always been the bridesmaid and never the bride. I thought he was robbed of Olympic gold - no way his execution was less than Berki- and I actually thought he edged this one too - just a little more polish and flair. I thought Max had a couple of tiny bobbles he could have have more taken from him for, whereas Louis just looked flawless.
Max will get to go to Rio, Louis I'm really not sure will be given that chance. I think that was his chance for gold and he gave it everything.
Do love Max - happy and sad at the same time!

And yeah, what kind of 'kooky' fool calls a crucifix an iron cross?!

I saw Louis legs come apart a tiny bit at the start, but the rest of the time he just seemed in complete control. He said he hasn't come this far to stop now, but the new Olympic rules may put an end to that dream.

Ooooooooooooh, she said Christine doesn't know what she is on about (((runs and heads for cover ))))

(hate the way she pronounces Shaposhnikova )

If I remember Christine's commentary, I think she "dumbs down" for your common or garden bbc viewer, who's caught a bit of the gymnastics whilst waiting for Countryfile to come on.

So less of the "tsuk 1.5", as that's pretty meaningless for anyone not in gymnastics, and in comes a "handspring", where she means "the bit where they Spring off their hands"....

Do you get Matt Baker on the commentary though? He's just like an excitable puppy :)

And just for the record, Claire Balding can say whatever she likes, she's still the best :)

I like Matt Baker, and as a good junior gymnast he at least has an idea of what he is talking about. I have a soft spot for Mitch Fenner as he is a local boy and played in a band with hubbies cousin.

I know Beth was our first "proper" gymnast in modern times but despite BBC coaching I cannot warm to her as a commentator, and yes Claire can do no wrong.

Yep, Beth holds the microphone up to hide her teeth/mouth and I just can't watch.

Back in the day they tried Hayley Price as a commentator when she retired. She wasn't great either, I remember Christine still (how long has she been at it?) working with her..

Can someone who judges explain to me how in the heck Paseka got the execution scores she did for her vaults. Her amanar was no where near as high or clean as Biles and only .2 lower on execution?

They really should be dinging the execution and body position more on the vaults in my humble opinion. I don't see how crossed legs, bent knees and pikey layout positions warrant execution scores in the 9s, but maybe I'm just crazy.

^^^THIS!
My daughter and I just watched this in reply. We couldn't believe that weird froggy-open-legged take off thing she does scores so well?? The Korean gymnast was beautiful in the air, as was Simone. Just don't understand this one.

So less of the "tsuk 1.5", as that's pretty meaningless for anyone not in gymnastics, and in comes a "handspring", where she means "the bit where they Spring off their hands"....

Yeah but...the direction of the entry affects the number of twists that happen after it, it's not just which direction you land facing that matters. I think she was trying to ascertain what vault it was by which direction they landed facing. If you do a yurchenko double, you land facing the vault. If you do a roundoff entry and then a half onto the table and you land facing the vault, you did a half twist. I mean technically you did a full twist of some sort since the roundoff but if we're gonna count it that way why not just start from the run and count the total number of directional changes that occurred? ;)

But really I thought she was nice, just confusing.

Ooooooooooooh, she said Christine doesn't know what she is on about (((runs and heads for cover ))))

(hate the way she pronounces Shaposhnikova )

If you watched the BBC feed I think you got Christine Still, if you watched the FIG/USA Gym feed you got some other lady who was a rhythmic gymnast back in the day and clearly not up to snuff on her artistic knowledge. It was taunting to hear parts of educated BBC commentary in the background.

Beyond the skills commentary, oh my goodness what the live feed person did to the gymnasts' names!

Awwwww, did anyone else want to give Kenzo a hug and a chocolate chip cookie after his first vault?

I wanted to give one to Chris Brooks :( After he fell, and then looked over and said "sorry" to his coach. I was in tears..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back