Off Topic Ex gymnast transition to track and field

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was a competitive gymnast from 8-14. I still miss the sport and part of me gets sad watching my old teammates getting new skills and stuff since I wish I was able to get back into the sport (it was not my choice to quit gymnastics).

Anyways, now I’m a pole vaulter. Im not very good but it’s my first high school season so 6’6 for just starting isn’t actually bad and its pretty good.

Im wondering how gymnasts do in actual competition and not just high school pole vault if anyone knows (Im going to join an AAU team to vault year round since I want to vault in college). Does having a gymnastics past help pole vaulters to get good enough to go to college etc.

Hi!

Former level 10 gymnast here. I started doing track in high school, but not until my sophomore year. I ended up being told I had to pole vault and it was a lot of fun. I also did some sprints and triple and long jump. I had some interest from some minor division one programs, but I ended up choosing to go a small division three school and was able to continue to do track there as well as have an incredible college experience with so many opportunities - like spending a semester abroad in Senegal! I also added cross country to the mix and did some steeple chase during track season. I had such a wonderful experience and loved the balance I had. My teammates were awesome and still some of my best friends now 10 years after graduation. Track was never my whole world the way gymnastics was so division three was such a great choice for me.

My daughter was a level 8 gymnast and did pole vaulting her senior year. Would have her sophomore year if not for Covid. Her highest jump was over 9 feet which is not far from the minimum height at the college she attends. We tried to motivate her to keep working on it and try to walk into the track team but she wants to try different things and not focus so much time on one sport.

Gymnastics definitely helped her get a solid start and without much other training could clear almost 8 feet. Getting beyond that took actual lessons to learn how to bend the pole and turn. What she did before she learned that was similar to kip motion

Yes gymnastics helps with PV! My Dd started training PV last summer. She did DP 3 and 4 before moving to Xcel where she's currently a platinum. She had the strength, flexibility,and lack of fear that being a gymnast helps with. She's only in 8th grade, but plans to compete club this summer and then for HS next year.

If you have a PV club near you, imo you'll hlget better training than just with your HS coach. Training year round also helps. Also train for strength and agility.

Yes gymnastics helps with PV! My Dd started training PV last summer. She did DP 3 and 4 before moving to Xcel where she's currently a platinum. She had the strength, flexibility,and lack of fear that being a gymnast helps with. She's only in 8th grade, but plans to compete club this summer and then for HS next year.

If you have a PV club near you, imo you'll hlget better training than just with your HS coach. Training year round also helps. Also train for strength and agility.
My track coach has coached for years, still pole vaults, and pole vaulter in college. So I trust his judgment I believe lol. He also coached Sandi Morris when she was in high school 0-0 (high school coach)

There isn’t an indoor club near by and I’m already gonna join a AAU team that coach recommended. He also said he would do privates during off season if I want to. So I have options open lol. I want to get 9 feet before next high school track season 0-0

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back