Parents Excessive sweating

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Has anyone had experience with their gymnasts sweating too much? I mean extreme wetness under the arms to the point of embarassment. My gymie is 14 and at the age where she is very aware of how she looks to others. Is there anything that can help this? I have bought several different kinds of antiperspirants and even the clinical strength kind but nothing helps.

Some kids do sweat a lot more than others. I would reccmend putting a small towel in with her gym kit, every time she heads over for a drink or to put her grips on or anything like that she can have a quick towel down to remove a lot of the sweat.

We have one girl in our gym who sweats a lot. Within half an hour her leos are drenched even if they aren't working that hard - especially the long sleeve competition one. Her mom just gives her a towel and the girl just does the best she can to dry off when she can.

Gymnomore, if you're in the US you might have her try Certain Dry if you haven't done so. It can be hard to find and you MUST follow the package directions for results, but it's notably effective within a week or so. It's used at night and there's a complementary product for morning.

We have the sweating problem at the other end of the body---the feet. Coaches think this is my gymie's excuse if she falls on beam. Now sometimes she falls because she doesn't execute correctly---sometimes its because her feet are sweaty. We put foot powder in her shoes---WHEW, you wouldn't want to be within 10 yds of them if she didn't. Thing is at meets, the normal moisture on her feet plus nerves add up to a problem for her on beam. I've seen her rubbing her feet on a mat trying to get the sweat off before she does beam. I know there are "beam shoes", but they aren't used much anymore and she actually does like to do beam barefoot. Don't know what to do. She says she does fine if she is on a "rough" beam.

She has tried the Certain Dry and it didn't help. But, she told me today that she didn't have that problem at today's meet and remainly somewhat dry. I'm wondering if it's because it's been about a week since she started using the Certain Dry and it has finally started to kick in. Could be. I read on another forum that some people have used Certain Dry on their feet. Maybe this could help with the sweaty feet problem. Thanks so much to everyone who responded.

My ds has the same problem but with hands/feet. His shoes are so bad it's not funny! Socks are stiff after he takes them off and throws them in the hamper...P U! He would leave drippy wet spots on mats at the gym where he would stand for only 5 seconds.

His is a medical condition...after some research it requires surguery for a 50/50 chance of success. Considering he's only 14 and very tiny for his age, I don't think so...I'll keep searching. I haven't taken him to the Dr for it and forgot when I'm because he's sick...maybe at some point I'll remember and ask. :rolleyes:

My daughter uses beam shoes and so does another girl in the gym (she uses them for excessive sweating). They seem to like them.

for those with the sweaty feet problem, would putting chalk on the soles of the feet help them stay on beam? Don't know, just asking to see if it might help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back