Parents Exercise-induced migraines?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DTAG

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
My 9 yr old son unfortunately gets debilitating migraines. It is not super often, (maybe once a month or so), and more times than not, they start in the gym. Bless his heart, he will usually vomit as well. He drinks a lot of water, but maybe he needs Gatorade too? I’ve looked it up and strenuous exercise can induce them. It also said that many athletes give up their sport in the long run in order to prevent them. Anyone deal with this? Should he see his primary for prescription migraine meds already at 9? I get migraines too, but mine are from injuries from the military. I just feel so bad for the little guy.

My 9 yr old son unfortunately gets debilitating migraines. It is not super often, (maybe once a month or so), and more times than not, they start in the gym. Bless his heart, he will usually vomit as well. He drinks a lot of water, but maybe he needs Gatorade too? I’ve looked it up and strenuous exercise can induce them. It also said that many athletes give up their sport in the long run in order to prevent them. Anyone deal with this? Should he see his primary for prescription migraine meds already at 9? I get migraines too, but mine are from injuries from the military. I just feel so bad for the little guy.
A girl at my daughter’s trampoline club got these around the age of 13. Every time she was upside down she ended up dizzy and vomiting. Sadly she had to quit as the doctors suggested it wasn’t safe. I think she was very rare - This is only the second time I’ve heard of this.

Yes. I would definitely suggest seeing a dr for this. Migraines are the worst and I feel awful for your son dealing with them so young. Can’t give medical advice, but anecdotally, I get them when I run long distances. Found out while training for a marathon and every Sunday after my long run of the week, I’d end up miserable in bed until Monday. Made me dread going so I can believe it about athletes quitting over it. But I found that if I took a bottle of water and a bottle of Gatorade and drank both along the way, and also stopped for a short “snack” of Gatorade chews or the electrolyte jelly beans (even skittles in a pinch), I could somewhat control it. Also to stay very hydrated even the night before and eat and drink plenty immediately after the exercise. All that to say you might be onto something worth trying...along with seeing a dr.

Unfortunately, we cannot give medical advice on CB, but I can share anecdotally. My son has had migraines forever. He is 18 and still a gymnast. He has learned how to work around them, and what to do. He also throws up (he has cyclical vomiting syndrome also). It is hard. but definitely talk to your doctor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back