Experienced Artistic, but fairly new Rhythmic mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LindyHopper

Proud Parent
Hi all!

I haven't been around in a fairly significant period of time. My eldest, 13. 5 year old Short Stack, is in the midst of her first L8 season.

We went through our first major coaching drama back in the spring. (Assistant coach, still a favorite, started their own gym). We stayed where we were for the consistency. The dust has settled. DH stopped in the gym before practice yesterday and had a brief chat with Head Coach and new assistant coach. They are happy with her attitude, drive, and work ethic. So it looks like things are going pretty well there.

My almost 8 year old daughter had been taking rec classes, but was getting really bored. She liked it, but it wasn't HER thing. She is more flexible than Short Stack and enjoys dance. DH suggested rhythmic gymnastics, so we did a month of rec rhythmic at a different gym. She LOVES it. We did another month of rec, and head coach came and invited her to team (THAT was an interesting conversation). They started her as a L3 (their L3 do not compete), but 2 months later wanted to move her to L4. This would have more than doubled her practice time, just as school started (not to mention doubled our tuition). She is exhausted (exhilarated, but exhausted) when she gets home from practice. We decided that we were going to keep her at L3 this year, and MAYBE look at having her compete Xcel come spring. She already has her own equipment (minus hoop and clubs).

We will look at L4 next season.

The thing is... I know next to nothing about rhythmic. So... for those of you who do have some rhythmic experience, can you give me the quick and dirty Idiot's guide to Rhythmic gymnastics? Is there more longevity in the sport than in artistic?

Happy to be back in the CB fold, and look forward to participating more often again.

Hi! Oddly enough my DD was the test subject, so to speak, for rhythmic express (xcel) for the entire state of California. It was.. interesting.. to be the first and only, but she did love rhythmic very much, and would have continued if they’d know what the program even was when we moved to VA. Ha. It was our understanding that the program was designed much like artistic xcel- for the late starter or those who couldn’t fully commit. Your DD seems to be in-age range for the levels, so whose choice would it be to do xcel? The meets are long, filled with tears, and lots of dropped apparatuses. The costumes and makeup are just lovely though. Everyone was always super friendly at meets, and there are usually vendors selling shoes and equipment too.

I didn't know rhythmic had xcel too now. My niece used to do rhythmic. She quit when she started high school, because it was too much of a time commitment and she wanted "social life" :). There was no option to do less hours then (about 5 years ago).
So it's pretty time consuming. Maybe not as bad as artistic, but still, I think my niece was at about 16 hours per week, level 7 or 8 maybe, don't remember exactly.

Hi! Oddly enough my DD was the test subject, so to speak, for rhythmic express (xcel) for the entire state of California. It was.. interesting.. to be the first and only, but she did love rhythmic very much, and would have continued if they’d know what the program even was when we moved to VA. Ha. It was our understanding that the program was designed much like artistic xcel- for the late starter or those who couldn’t fully commit. Your DD seems to be in-age range for the levels, so whose choice would it be to do xcel? The meets are long, filled with tears, and lots of dropped apparatuses. The costumes and makeup are just lovely though. Everyone was always super friendly at meets, and there are usually vendors selling shoes and equipment too.
You were the first person I thought of when my daughter started rhythmic. A few years ago. I remember your search for a rhythmic leo. I remember your eldest's transition from artistic to rhythmic to being a big sister figure on her new artistic team on the other side of the country.

One of the reasons I remember you is you being a military family. DH retired from Navy after 9 years active and 14 years reserve last November.

As for who will decide? Coaches would love to have her on their competitive team, in any capacity, NOW. They can't stop talking about her knees and toes for some reason. No team agreement of any kind has been signed, so it's all rather nebulous right now. I think I would rather hold off until next season.

I didn't know rhythmic had xcel too now. My niece used to do rhythmic. She quit when she started high school, because it was too much of a time commitment and she wanted "social life" :). There was no option to do less hours then (about 5 years ago).
So it's pretty time consuming. Maybe not as bad as artistic, but still, I think my niece was at about 16 hours per week, level 7 or 8 maybe, don't remember exactly.
They want 9 hours a week for L4, but at not even 8 years old, that just seems like too much for this particular daughter.

Always trust your gut. Just because the hours are less and the skills less dangerous doesn’t mean the sport cannot be hard on their bodies or their minds- the coaching tends toward old school Eastern European, and even though we love my DD’s coaches and team fiercely, they did tend to treat the younger JO kids more harshly than my daughter when it came to stretching and routines. Especially if Xcel is an option, there is no rush at all. I would tend to agree with your original assessment to let her try that in spring and then make a more informed decision in the summer for next year.

Always trust your gut. Just because the hours are less and the skills less dangerous doesn’t mean the sport cannot be hard on their bodies or their minds- the coaching tends toward old school Eastern European, and even though we love my DD’s coaches and team fiercely, they did tend to treat the younger JO kids more harshly than my daughter when it came to stretching and routines. Especially if Xcel is an option, there is no rush at all. I would tend to agree with your original assessment to let her try that in spring and then make a more informed decision in the summer for next year.
I believe head coach is Romanian. Ar least one of the parents of almost every girl on the team are Eastern European as well. And thank you for your feedback and opinions.

My dd does rhythmic. pm me if you have any questions, I can try to answer, though not in the US.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back