Parents Exposure to college coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Blas

Proud Parent
I have a level 9 gymnast that is currently doing very well in our sport. But we belong to a small gym in miami and our coach is Cuban American.
He and two of his coaches are ex members of the Cuban national team. I've noticed that they really don't know anyone in the college circuit and don't have a plan for when their girls are ready to move on. Does any one know how to get exposure to college coaches?

Attending summer gymnastics camp at universities you may be interested in in a good way to make that introduction.

Attending summer gymnastics camp at universities you may be interested in in a good way to make that introduction.

^^ this
if you scroll down this list you will see the colleges that offer camps
i sent dd to one last summer at UNH. it was 100 girls from no skills up to level 7. levels 8+ went the 2nd half of the week and i think the incoming freshman gymnasts were at this portion of the camp as well. this camp filled up quickly so if you decide to attend any, make sure you enroll as soon as you can.
http://gymnasticszone.com/gymnastics-summer-camp-directory/

Does your region offer camps for upper level gymnasts? Sometimes college coaches will attend those to look at girls.
our state (MA) just started doing this but it's by invite only. the judges decide at the end of the season who the top gymnasts are in each gym but just in the child category. they were just doing level 8+. last year they added levels 4-7 out of the child category. we had 1 level 8 to go and 3 level 4s were picked as well as 1 level 6. not sure if that is the case in other states. it's not a region wide thing up here.

I have a level 9 gymnast that is currently doing very well in our sport. But we belong to a small gym in miami and our coach is Cuban American.
He and two of his coaches are ex members of the Cuban national team. I've noticed that they really don't know anyone in the college circuit and don't have a plan for when their girls are ready to move on. Does any one know how to get exposure to college coaches?

Have the gymnast send letters/emails to the college coaches. Create a youtube page and load it with videos, include a link in the email to the youtube page. Then update the youtube page regularly with videos of really good gymnastics, not practice attempts of skills you don't have yet. Also create a facebook page and "friend" the coaches of the schools you interested. When you update the youtube page post the video on Facebook.

Also going to camps is a good idea, but it's likely you will only attend one camp per year, maybe two. So choose schools wisely.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back