Parents Extra Activity Ideas

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I personally think there is nothing more special than mommy and me time. We still live for it over here, and my kid is not 6. We have so many special moments together that we will always have in our hearts. Just think of all the things you can do together!!! :)

Okay, I told her that she couldn't take the tumbling class, but after she got over the initial disappointment she was really excited to do some new activities with me on Saturdays. I told her we could do whatever she wants tomorrow and she wants to go to the zoo, so I'm excitedly looking forward to a damp, cold, awesome zoo trip with my little girl. Thanks again for all the input. I'm definitely going to save the paint-your-own pottery and adventure drive ideas for another week!
Make sure you have your phone fully charged when you go on the adventure drive ;) GPS can be your friend getting back home!

Mommy and daughter tap class. Many studios (with the exception of ballet-only schools) require tap at this age for a competitive dancer. It is the a great way for kids to get the feel of rhythm and musicality. You get exercise, she gets those benefits--win-win! Some studios (particularly if you have a tap-only company in your area), offer these on a drop-in basis. That way you can try it and go back if you like it and it fits into your schedule. One bar in our area actually offers these in the early evening or Saturday once a week (all ages welcome)... They have 5 year olds to 75 year olds.. Teachers from a nearby dance studio do the classes.

Mommy and daughter tap class. Many studios (with the exception of ballet-only schools) require tap at this age for a competitive dancer. It is the a great way for kids to get the feel of rhythm and musicality. You get exercise, she gets those benefits--win-win! Some studios (particularly if you have a tap-only company in your area), offer these on a drop-in basis. That way you can try it and go back if you like it and it fits into your schedule. One bar in our area actually offers these in the early evening or Saturday once a week (all ages welcome)... They have 5 year olds to 75 year olds.. Teachers from a nearby dance studio do the classes.

What an amazing idea. I'll definitely look into this, I bet we'd both love it.

I suggest simple family time. Last night DD and I had Chinese food and played a drawing game, like add-on in gymnastics, and colored. I think being gymnasts they tend to learn and expect, that life is supposed to always be busy. I fear that she will begin to expect life to keep her occupied if you will. I think that it is my duty to teach her that life also had downtime. Teach her to expect and appreciate times of low activity and not think of those times as bad or boring.

I suggest simple family time. Last night DD and I had Chinese food and played a drawing game, like add-on in gymnastics, and colored. I think being gymnasts they tend to learn and expect, that life is supposed to always be busy. I fear that she will begin to expect life to keep her occupied if you will. I think that it is my duty to teach her that life also had downtime. Teach her to expect and appreciate times of low activity and not think of those times as bad or boring.

Excellent advice and very true! In this day and age of constant accessibility and an almost frenetic pace for anything, learning to be still and ENJOY it is a life skill!

I fear that she will begin to expect life to keep her occupied if you will. I think that it is my duty to teach her that life also had downtime

This is very true. I am always trying to keep busy. I have a hard time "chilling". I attribue this to my childhood being extremely structured and jam packed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back