facilitating practice while on vacation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

profmom

Proud Parent
A question primarily for coaches: we're about to head off for two weeks of vacation, and we have a connection to a gym at the vacation destination where they're willing to have our two gymnasts (L6 uptraining L7 girl and L4 uptraining L5 boy) join their team practices. I thought about putting together a list for each child of skills they've recently acquired for each event and skills they are working on, running the list by their home coaches for corrections and amendments, and giving it to the coaches in the gym where they'll be working out. Does this seem like a good idea (on both ends)? Or is it kind of a waste of time for everyone, given that neither kid is doing really high level stuff yet and they'll only be there for two weeks? Trying to hit that sweet spot of being a supportive and involved parent who wants to make things easier for coaches while not coming off like (or horror of horrors, actually being!) a micromanaging control freak!

No need to do the list. They should just go to the new gym and work with the team on what ever the team is working on. Your goal is to keep the skills alive and not get rusty. The kids are on vacation and will enjoy a different coach with a different style.

We are in a vacation area and have kids come in all the time to my DD's gym. they just do what the rest of the team is doing.

So relax take a deep breath and enjoy your vacation.

For 2 weeks, I wouldn't bother going through the effort on your vacation. They probably will only a few hours anyway, not enough to really make a difference. When they get back to gym, they will have a week of having to push harder but then should be fine. I encourage dd to stretch and do calistenics on vacation. Nothing more. If it were a month long vacay, then I would be searching for a gym for some training.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

For 2 weeks, I wouldn't bother going through the effort on your vacation. They probably will only a few hours anyway, not enough to really make a difference. When they get back to gym, they will have a week of having to push harder but then should be fine. I encourage dd to stretch and do calistenics on vacation. Nothing more. If it were a month long vacay, then I would be searching for a gym for some training.

I could not agree more! We were just on a two week vacation and it took my DD one practice to be back on track. She is training L7 and I think the rest did her better than anything after 21hrs a week for the last year.

I do see where you're all coming from with the "just don't bother" advice, and I don't wish to be dismissive or disrespectful. But my experience over several years in this sport is that it does take my daughter more than one practice to get back on track after a break (perhaps because last year she was only training 9 hours a week, not 21). The coaches have encouraged us to have them do some gym while we are gone, even if they're not doing 15 hours a week. I'm just looking for a way to make this easy for the coaches on both ends.

I could not agree more! We were just on a two week vacation and it took my DD one practice to be back on track. She is training L7 and I think the rest did her better than anything after 21hrs a week for the last year.

Give the kids two weeks off.....Why do adults take vacations if not to rest, recuperate, and recharge. Your kids need the same renewal as you. It will probably sharpen their skills by giving them time to rest and forget bad habits. Guess what they'll do in their slackard moments.....daydream, about gymnastics, and it may improve their technique in the absence of the unavoidable miss-cues that are a constant force in the gym.

I do see where you're all coming from with the "just don't bother" advice, and I don't wish to be dismissive or disrespectful. But my experience over several years in this sport is that it does take my daughter more than one practice to get back on track after a break (perhaps because last year she was only training 9 hours a week, not 21). The coaches have encouraged us to have them do some gym while we are gone, even if they're not doing 15 hours a week. I'm just looking for a way to make this easy for the coaches on both ends.

That's understandable. In that case, I would just let the coaches at the new gym what level they are and they are uptraining 1 level. They will ask you any questions they have and will put them in the right group.

I totally get where your coming from, and no, I don't feel dis-respected in the least. I don't know if your dd and ds have had any time off in the past 6 months, past year, or what. I concede the skills that are "on the edge" may regress, but there's also, and possibly a greaterchance these skills will be easier after time away. In the adult world perspective you go on a vacation, untended mini-problems acumulate on your desk that and you take care of them when you get back, but with a greater sense of purpose and energy. It's the same for kids......They take time off, possibly regress somewhat on their "edge" skills, but solve those problems and learn the skill just the same.

Back in "the day" when I was coaching 24/7 with kids doing skills of present day level 8-10 on beam and floor (equipment changes over the years on vault and bars), my girls always took 2 weeks off at the end of each season. The only things that suffered were their strength and flexibility, and they'd often comment that their harder skills were easier to do.

I can understand the coaches who want their kids to train 6/365, but have they ever given kids enough time off to understand what it can do for them.

Last of all.....No matter what your choices.....have a great vacation!!!

For those of you advising to just take the time off, would your advice be different if it was meet season? DH always wants to take our kids to Florida for 10 days or so over the holidays. I hate for DD to miss time like that during meet season, but they live in Florida and I do admit that it's much nicer to visit in the winter than in the summer. I was contemplating trying to find a nearby gym, especially now that she's an optional.

I agree with just taking the time off. But I also know where you are coming from because I've done the sme thing and may still do the same thing if we went on an extended vacation. I feel they work so hard to get to where they are and would like them to maintain their strength, skills, etc. But you'd be surprised how quickly they get back on track.

Nonetheless, the goal is to keep them in shape while on vacation even for higher levels. So, I would not worry too much about making a list. As you said, it may be a waste of time. Remember, as accommodating as the gym your DDs will be practicing with, they will not invest extra time or effort on someone just practicing for a couple weeks. They are more vested in their own team.

Two weeks is a long time, especially at the higher levels. Maybe just take one week off, or do just a couple of days a week at this destination-gym? I do think some kids seem to lose muscle tone a lot faster than others, for some reason. It can make the week back pretty miserable, especially if the rest of the team has been in practice. If you think your kids have the self-discipline to run through their daily conditioning and stretch every morning and are going to have an active vacation (swimming, biking, etc), then you might be okay. Otherwise it might be a good idea to go to a few practices (make sure they get a little vacation too!). It think a lot depends on what the gymnasts themselves want!

It's a whole different ballgame during the last two months of training prior to comp season, and through the entire comp season. Best advice training wise...no time off from the normal schedule.

I would say don't worry about it and that I'm sure they'll be active on vacation so they won't lose muscle tone. If you feel you have to do something at the gym near your vacation site, then just do a couple of practices for 1 week and skip the other. Both kids will be fine.

Wow - this has me nervous. Dd is training L8 and we are taking 2 weeks off! No gym where we are going, but she does keep up her stretching, some strength and running. Eek.

I don't mean to be Debbie Downer here but the OP is talking about a Level 7 and a Level 5 taking a vacation...and that's what they should do, take a vacation!! I'm sure your hometown coaches would like them to practice for the 2 weeks they are gone ( or not go at all would probably be their preference) but their bodies need resting and relaxing, not practicing at a strange gym. In all the years we've been doing this (and it's a lot as my daughter heads off to compete in college and was 7 yrs at Level 10), we took vacations every year for at least 10 days and never once did we set foot in a gym when away...it was "suggested" to us but I put my foot down and said "not happening" ...

My girls have been on team for many years and have never trained during vacation at any other gym. Little DD is now training L 9, and coach assigns "vacation conditioning" which is about 30 mins of strength and cardio on alternating days. She gets right back into training upon return, without any problems. This is during the off season. We would not take more than a couple of days off during meet season, DD would not agree to that :)

Not knowing your daughter, it's tough to be able to opine as to whether 2 weeks off is going to impact her training. I can only go on our experience. Last summer, right after switching gyms, we left on a long awaited vacation. We were gone for 3 weeks out of the country. Given the nature of the tour and lack of contacts in the country, we weren't able to find any gym time. DD's new gym gave her a list of conditioning skills to work on and every morning at 6 am, she got up and went into the hotel hallway to do them. O.K. she did skip a few days but only a few. When we got back, she headed into the gym for practice only to discover that the gym was starting its annual 10 day break the next day. By the time it was over, she had missed a full month of practice. Despite that, she still managed to move up to Level 9 despite not really starting on her new skills until mid-July. So, the lack of gym time didn't really hurt her though she was sore the first week of practice.

I'd talk to the coaches. They understand that the kids need a vacation. They may give you a conditioning list but probably not require gym time. As to a vacation during competition season, I think my DD would kill me if I even suggested one. I'm sure that her coaches would be very unhappy also.

Honestly, I think it depends on what the kids want to do. If they would like to have 2 weeks off, let them! They deserve a break. But if they would enjoy working with the other gym, I don't see any harm in doing so.

if you can work out both taking place that is better than not working out at all. they don't have to do all out training. bars super important, then conditioning and then just being in the environment keeps the kids sane so that THEY don't feel like they're going to suck when they get back and ruin your vacation in the process. compromise is good.

same goes for in the season. and depends how intense given the level. for level 10 it's a really bad idea. they get taken off their game pretty fast. and i'm not talking about a 34.00 aa level 10.

so level is a consideration for these kinds of questions and issues.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back