WAG Fall season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMomJ

Proud Parent
What is the likelihood there will a fall compulsory season? We typically start competition in late August. It seems like it will be difficult given the idea that social distancing will not fully be lifted for a number of months.

I really would not be surprised if this fall and winter season get vetoed. I don't think the amount of time back in gym will impact it much, but I can see large gatherings still not being allowed. I think it will all come down to whether one of these promising treatments turns out to be effective. We wait, we wait....

I can definitely see early season meets not being very popular this year for fall. :oops:

I wonder about delaying the start of seasons, but I suppose there is a wall they run into with Easterns/Westerns and Nationals in terms of the end of the school year, so there is only so far back they can push things. Maybe a much shorter season for 2020-21?

I would be very surprised to see a fall season as I think that we will still be figuring things out as a country. I am hopeful for winter/ spring as this gives more time for vaccine/ treatment/ herd immunity etc. I am not sure how they will manage social distance and low numbers at meets, much less for training, but I suspect it will be an evolving process. I am hoping and praying that many more people have had the virus and just not been tested. That would help things along a lot, along with increasing testing and antibody testing. fingers crossed.

I think people will be back training in smaller groups by fall (even though I’m not convinced you can thoroughly clean all equipment between groups all day long), but I suspect there will be a lot of in house mobility meets for compulsory this fall, if anything.

I think people will be back training in smaller groups by fall (even though I’m not convinced you can thoroughly clean all equipment between groups all day long), but I suspect there will be a lot of in house mobility meets for compulsory this fall, if anything.

you can't clean everything. Not realistic. Just like you can't clean everything at the store. Kids will just do more handwashing, temp checks at door maybe, etc. And if you clean the boys' pbars.........lol

you can't clean everything. Not realistic. Just like you can't clean everything at the store. Kids will just do more handwashing, temp checks at door maybe, etc. And if you clean the boys' pbars.........lol
I did hear gyms mentioned in this new 3 phase plan today, and strict sanitation guidelines were mentioned for them. I’ll be interested to see what that entails.

And do gymnastics gyms even fall under the category of gyms they’re referring to? Because if they do, they will be allowed soft openings in phase 1.

Is there a way to know from state to state how they are categorized?
I have no idea. I just know that the last gym here closed when they say gyms and gymnastics places. But that does not mean it will stay that way

Ours also closed when they closed "gyms." But I do believe gyms in the phase plan means fitness gyms. They specifically say they can only open with strict social distancing. You can't do that in a gymnastics practice. Also, it specifically says "organized youth programs" shouldn't open until phase 2.

Also, parent viewing is going to stay closed or limited until phase 3, it looks like, so owners should probably be thinking about some way to stream practices to be safesport compliant. I think our owner should just open the big doors and let parents sit outside (as long as it's not July.)

Ours also closed when they closed "gyms." But I do believe gyms in the phase plan means fitness gyms. They specifically say they can only open with strict social distancing. You can't do that in a gymnastics practice. Also, it specifically says "organized youth programs" shouldn't open until phase 2.

Also, parent viewing is going to stay closed or limited until phase 3, it looks like, so owners should probably be thinking about some way to stream practices to be safesport compliant. I think our owner should just open the big doors and let parents sit outside (as long as it's not July.)

Oh I think you can in gymnastics. Groups of less than 10 (including coach). No spotting which right now, they do not need anyway. Hand washing, etc. It can be done with some thought and deliberation.

Oh I think you can in gymnastics. Groups of less than 10 (including coach). No spotting which right now, they do not need anyway. Hand washing, etc. It can be done with some thought and deliberation.

Agreed. Small group training seems reasonable to me once it's within the stated group limitations.

I really don't think you can. At all three gyms we've been in, the beams aren't even 6 feet apart. I also do not believe, for a second, that coaches *can* or *will care to* keep kids 6 feet apart from each other at all times. As with most things you will get a few days of vigilance and then complacency. You can not sanitize bars and beam and vault between every child like you can workout equipment.

I mean, I'm as anxious for the gym to open as anyone, but I am 100% sure that that guide was written to be about fitness gyms. I don't know if guidance will come down about that, but you really think gymnastics gyms get special billing in the plan, but not any other youth sport or activity? Ballet studios? Martial Arts? Girl Scouts? All of which would fall under "organized youth activities" and are FAR easier to social distance? We're not special y'all.

I really don't think you can. At all three gyms we've been in, the beams aren't even 6 feet apart. I also do not believe, for a second, that coaches *can* or *will care to* keep kids 6 feet apart from each other at all times. As with most things you will get a few days of vigilance and then complacency. You can not sanitize bars and beam and vault between every child like you can workout equipment.

I mean, I'm as anxious for the gym to open as anyone, but I am 100% sure that that guide was writted to be about fitness gyms. I don't know if guidance will come down about that, but you really think gymnastics gyms get special billing in the plan, but not any other youth sport or activity? Ballet studios? Martial Arts? Girl Scouts? All of which would fall under "organized youth activities" and are FAR easier to social distance? We're not special y'all.

First, you are right. YOu cannot santize things that often. And disinfecting is what kills the virus. But really, I guess I am not thinking that htis is going to go away in all of this. I think it is going to be around, like influenza, and is going to have ebbs and flows. We know more about it and hopefulyl continue to learn more.

Second, I do see it possible. Small groups..5-6 kids at a time, for shorter periods. Hand washing between events, etc. I feel better about my son going to the gym that I do when he has to go to the store for me (I am high risk). He has learned many ways to keep me safe at home, so I know he will continue those things. I think ballet, martial arts, etc with proper plans, could slowly begin to open.

I think we can get to a point where we can test more, anytime someoen presents with symptoms, test antibodies, and contact trace and isolate when needed (ill or exposed). And I am glad we have done waht we have. We had to do it to give the medical community time to prepare and learn more. But I do think we have to open things up slowly and with deliberation. We have to start a new normal. I know in my state, gymnastics was in with gym. (it said gyms and gymnastics). In fact, some gymnastics gyms closed after the gyms were ordered to close. (Don't get me started on that one).

I am not saying tomorrow, or right away, but I do think we can move to places being open. People here are playing baseball, soccer, football, in their families. They are out hitting, catching, kicking, etc. It is just that those sports involve many more people in general. Maybe they can run groups of 6 kids in soccer, just to get started (although there is NO way to stay 6 feet apart in soccer lol)

I just think we need to get creative and deliberate and start thinking of ways we can have things work for everyone.

OK, I see, you're talking about general best practices, and I am talking about the actual guidelines that have been handed down.

I am all for small groups and frequent handwashing. That kind of freedom isn't in what the white house just released. Two weeks of downward trending cases, enough PPE for all healthcare workers, and non-crisis conditions in hospitals and then "gyms" can open with strict social distancing, and sanitation, but "organized youth activities" can not. Two more weeks meeting the same criteria and organized youth activities can open back up. Two more weeks meeting the metric and parent viewing can open too.

Governers do have final say, but it's a pretty reasonable plan, and I'd predict most will roll out something similar.

Texas has NOT crested the hill yet, and some places still don't have enough PPE. So here we're not near Phase 1 yet anyway.

Oh, also if our governer follows this, school is definitely over for the year (right now they're clinging to a May 4 restart) because it's just not possible to get to phase 2 in time.

OK, I see, you're talking about general best practices, and I am talking about the actual guidelines that have been handed down.

I am all for small groups and frequent handwashing. That kind of freedom isn't in what the white house just released. Two weeks of downward trending cases, enough PPE for all healthcare workers, and non-crisis conditions in hospitals and then "gyms" can open with strict social distancing, and sanitation, but "organized youth activities" can not. Two more weeks meeting the same criteria and organized youth activities can open back up. Two more weeks meeting the metric and parent viewing can open too.

Governers do have final say, but it's a pretty reasonable plan, and I'd predict most will roll out something similar.

Texas has NOT crested the hill yet, and some places still don't have enough PPE. So here we're not near Phase 1 yet anyway.

Oh, also if our governer follows this, school is definitely over for the year (right now they're clinging to a May 4 restart) because it's just not possible to get to phase 2 in time.

Was just replying to thre 6 feet ans sanitizing, also best practice. And basing things on what was said today at national and state level. But we have seen things level off here and our governor released a plan for our state earlier this week.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back