WAG Fall season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just realized that movies theaters, churches and major sports arenas are allowed limited opening in phase 1 and have completely changed my mind. Ask forgiveness rather than permission and say you thought you qualified as a sports area. That is so dumb.

Social distancing in a gym is hard, as is constant sanitisation, but you can do a lot. Before gyms were closed in Australia we had a strict set of rules we had to follow to stay open. We managed to do them all, we did the following.

1. Had a hand washing station in the gym, as the kids entered the gym they went and lined up at the sink (2M apart), a coach would put hand wash in their hands and turn on the tap for them, then turn off the tap and hand them a paper towel. We did the same at the end of training and whenever they used hand equipment.

2. We trained our gymnasts to do this, and coaches did it for the younger ones. If they used any hand apparatus, the kids (or coaches) disinfected it before and after use. This was equipment like stopwatches, skipping ropes etc.

3. For loose equipment, like wedges, mats and boxes. The coaches disinfected them after every use.

4. Major equipment was disinfected after every use to. For things like bars, which were hard to disinfect, we just sent the kids to the hand washing station after.

5. We removed spotting, partner activities etc from the programs.

6. We had a handheld no touch thermometer. If a child coughed, sneezed, said they didn’t feel well etc, we took their temperature. If they had a temperature they were kept in a space away from others and parents contacted.

7. We allowed unlimited make up lessons for kids who were sick, so parents would not attempt to send unwell kids to the gym.

8. We spread the kids out and trained them to stay 2M apart. In lines, waiting for turns, during circuits, we just reminded them constantly. Their schools had been doing the same thing, so most did it with no issues.

9. We had a click counter, and counted the number of people in the building constantly, so we did not have more kids than we had space for. This was never an issue because our gym is large, but if anyone asked we knew how many people were in our building.

10. I had the coaches take turns, every 15 minutes to go through the building and disinfect hand rails, light switches, door knobs, toilets etc. they all did this so well.

It worked well, parents could visibly see the efforts we were going to and they were happy to have their children there. It sounds like a lot to do and a lot to remember, but it really wasn’t. It became a new habit very quickly and the staff and gymnasts took it all in their stride.

I assume when we are allowed to reopen, we will be required to do the same things again.

Many gyms also had to keep parents out (we did not because our waiting area is not in the same physical room as the gym). They had a system of kids being dropped off to their coaches at the door. At class end the kids waited with a coach and the parents would test the coach when they were in a car park and the coach would walk them to the car. Many also used seperate exits and entrances for different groups.

Of course our situation here in Australia is very different, our country has had a to total of 63 deaths from COVID 19 so far. I imagine things are far more dire in the US.

What I'd like to know is how parents' choices will affect what happens with gymnastics. My daughter is doing some on-line conditioning with her team now (and we are voluntarily paying full tuition to help keep the gym afloat), but it's very likely that we will not allow her back in the gym when it reopens. I would only feel safe letting her go back if there were a sustained period with few new infections in our area, if testing were expanded dramatically, and if a robust system of contact tracing and isolation were established. If there are still infected people, including asymptomatic carriers, in the community, there is very little a gym can do to prevent the virus from spreading. Even if we do let her go back to practice over the summer, there's no way on earth she is competing next season, and I'll likely pull her in the fall if *anyone* in the gym is competing. Meets bring kids from a wide geographic range into close contact, and I've overheard way too many parents in the stands brag about loading sick kids up with Advil and Sudafed and sending them out to compete. Right before the coronavirus shutdown a bunch of team kids and parents had the flu, which I believe started at a meet we hosted.

If a substantial number of parents feel the same way, there may be some pressure at least to cancel meets this fall, if not to stop training altogether. But given the number of insane parents in this sport, that's probably a vain hope.

Social distancing in a gym is hard, as is constant sanitisation, but you can do a lot. Before gyms were closed in Australia we had a strict set of rules we had to follow to stay open. We managed to do them all, we did the following.

1. Had a hand washing station in the gym, as the kids entered the gym they went and lined up at the sink (2M apart), a coach would put hand wash in their hands and turn on the tap for them, then turn off the tap and hand them a paper towel. We did the same at the end of training and whenever they used hand equipment.

2. We trained our gymnasts to do this, and coaches did it for the younger ones. If they used any hand apparatus, the kids (or coaches) disinfected it before and after use. This was equipment like stopwatches, skipping ropes etc.

3. For loose equipment, like wedges, mats and boxes. The coaches disinfected them after every use.

4. Major equipment was disinfected after every use to. For things like bars, which were hard to disinfect, we just sent the kids to the hand washing station after.

5. We removed spotting, partner activities etc from the programs.

6. We had a handheld no touch thermometer. If a child coughed, sneezed, said they didn’t feel well etc, we took their temperature. If they had a temperature they were kept in a space away from others and parents contacted.

7. We allowed unlimited make up lessons for kids who were sick, so parents would not attempt to send unwell kids to the gym.

8. We spread the kids out and trained them to stay 2M apart. In lines, waiting for turns, during circuits, we just reminded them constantly. Their schools had been doing the same thing, so most did it with no issues.

9. We had a click counter, and counted the number of people in the building constantly, so we did not have more kids than we had space for. This was never an issue because our gym is large, but if anyone asked we knew how many people were in our building.

10. I had the coaches take turns, every 15 minutes to go through the building and disinfect hand rails, light switches, door knobs, toilets etc. they all did this so well.

It worked well, parents could visibly see the efforts we were going to and they were happy to have their children there. It sounds like a lot to do and a lot to remember, but it really wasn’t. It became a new habit very quickly and the staff and gymnasts took it all in their stride.

I assume when we are allowed to reopen, we will be required to do the same things again.

Many gyms also had to keep parents out (we did not because our waiting area is not in the same physical room as the gym). They had a system of kids being dropped off to their coaches at the door. At class end the kids waited with a coach and the parents would test the coach when they were in a car park and the coach would walk them to the car. Many also used seperate exits and entrances for different groups.

Of course our situation here in Australia is very different, our country has had a to total of 63 deaths from COVID 19 so far. I imagine things are far more dire in the US.

All the cleaning is an empty gesture. It makes people feel safe, but isn't actually doing much. We know the primary method of spread (the vast majority of cases) is breathing other people's respitory droplets, which current research suggests can travel 13 feet and hang in the air for up to 3 hours, so the only thing on that list that is likely having any effect on infection transmission is limiting numbers in the building and sending sick people home.

It doesn't *feel* dire here. In my county of over 5 million people there are 46 deaths and the hospitals are half empty. Our number of cases are still rising though, no telling what it will look like as our governer attempts to open things up...

I can see our team getting back to practice, but I have no idea how in the world our gym could open back up to the rec classes AND keep social distancing in place. And without rec $$.... I just don't know.

All the cleaning is an empty gesture. It makes people feel safe, but isn't actually doing much. We know the primary method of spread (the vast majority of cases) is breathing other people's respitory droplets, which current research suggests can travel 13 feet and hang in the air for up to 3 hours, so the only thing on that list that is likely having any effect on infection transmission is limiting numbers in the building and sending sick people home.

Yes.

Wow, just listened in to a Zoom workout session where gym owner just told gymnasts that he believes we are more than half way though this and restrictions are slowly going to start being lifted AND.... quote- “if there’s a gray area, we are going to explore that gray area”....

What I'd like to know is how parents' choices will affect what happens with gymnastics. My daughter is doing some on-line conditioning with her team now (and we are voluntarily paying full tuition to help keep the gym afloat), but it's very likely that we will not allow her back in the gym when it reopens. I would only feel safe letting her go back if there were a sustained period with few new infections in our area, if testing were expanded dramatically, and if a robust system of contact tracing and isolation were established. If there are still infected people, including asymptomatic carriers, in the community, there is very little a gym can do to prevent the virus from spreading. Even if we do let her go back to practice over the summer, there's no way on earth she is competing next season, and I'll likely pull her in the fall if *anyone* in the gym is competing. Meets bring kids from a wide geographic range into close contact, and I've overheard way too many parents in the stands brag about loading sick kids up with Advil and Sudafed and sending them out to compete. Right before the coronavirus shutdown a bunch of team kids and parents had the flu, which I believe started at a meet we hosted.

If a substantial number of parents feel the same way, there may be some pressure at least to cancel meets this fall, if not to stop training altogether. But given the number of insane parents in this sport, that's probably a vain hope.

I'll be honest (and no, I'm not a crazy gym parent my daughter does not have a realistic chance at even college gym she does it because she loves it, is average to below average in placement, and repeats levels a lot). If the gym is allowed to be open and is open I will allow my daughter to go. We are all very low risk in our household. We are also willing to quarantine the entire family if one of us has any symptoms. So, for me, actually contracting the virus is not something I'm worried about. I know there are rare cases where covid-19 is fatal for those that seem to be low risk, but statistics are in our favor anyways and to us the benefit of being back in the gym for my daughter's mental health outweighs the health risks (assuming the government opens gyms which means the infection rate is down in our area anyways). I am also confident in our gym to do all they can to prevent spread as they were already very diligent before this began. I feel similarly about my other children's sports.

As for meets, we don't usually compete out of the gym until January (occasionally December). It would not surprise me if the number of spectators are limited at meets for a while and I'm ok with that.

I'll be honest (and no, I'm not a crazy gym parent my daughter does not have a realistic chance at even college gym she does it because she loves it, is average to below average in placement, and repeats levels a lot). If the gym is allowed to be open and is open I will allow my daughter to go. We are all very low risk in our household. We are also willing to quarantine the entire family if one of us has any symptoms. So, for me, actually contracting the virus is not something I'm worried about. I know there are rare cases where covid-19 is fatal for those that seem to be low risk, but statistics are in our favor anyways and to us the benefit of being back in the gym for my daughter's mental health outweighs the health risks (assuming the government opens gyms which means the infection rate is down in our area anyways). I am also confident in our gym to do all they can to prevent spread as they were already very diligent before this began. I feel similarly about my other children's sports.

As for meets, we don't usually compete out of the gym until January (occasionally December). It would not surprise me if the number of spectators are limited at meets for a while and I'm ok with that.

I will too, actually, as long as the situation in our city continues to be pretty flat. Our family is healthy, I am sure the gym will have very small groups, hopefully the big doors open since it's spring. I'm not terribly worried with things as they are. If you only pay attention to the online groups, 95% of parents are chomping at the bit to get back to the gym, even if it's illegal.

But I do wonder how that compares to "real life" including people not on gym messageboards though. I know just in our gym we have parents out of work, families with high-risk members, families with parents in healthcare...I do wonder how many will return at first.

I'm not even remotely worried about our season starting in December. I reserve the right to change my mind of course, but with the treatments showing promise at every turn, I think it'll be pretty treatable by then. I think effective treatments will come long before an effective vaccine.

Everyone's situation is going to be so very different. Depending where they live, if they have close contact with those in higher risk categories, if they suffer from other conditions etc. People are going to have to make decisions that work for their situation. If gyms are respectful of that, and approach the situation as such, most students will probably eventually return.

The way gyms have handled their closures will play a big role in how quickly they recover once its safe to train again, especially when it comes to recreational kids.

I will too, actually, as long as the situation in our city continues to be pretty flat. Our family is healthy, I am sure the gym will have very small groups, hopefully the big doors open since it's spring. I'm not terribly worried with things as they are. If you only pay attention to the online groups, 95% of parents are chomping at the bit to get back to the gym, even if it's illegal.

But I do wonder how that compares to "real life" including people not on gym messageboards though. I know just in our gym we have parents out of work, families with high-risk members, families with parents in healthcare...I do wonder how many will return at first.

I'm not even remotely worried about our season starting in December. I reserve the right to change my mind of course, but with the treatments showing promise at every turn, I think it'll be pretty treatable by then. I think effective treatments will come long before an effective vaccine.

We would also return. Our gym was the first in our area to close and will probably be the last to open. They have people who work in healthcare at the local hospital so I trust they will do everything possible to create as safe of an environment as possible.

Our season begins December with just a couple meets but we usually start in January. I hope that meets limit attendees to 1 or 2 per gymnast. (That could also cause higher fees to make up for lost revenue on entry tickets.)

And the people who load their kids up with medications so they can compete, well the same parents do that to send them to school. Hopefully they will learn to not be so selfish and to just take the meet off (it's a horrible, dangerous practice anyhow.) I have to hope that some compassion for the safety and wellbeing of others has come out of this, but perhaps I'm too hopeful.

Wow, just listened in to a Zoom workout session where gym owner just told gymnasts that he believes we are more than half way though this and restrictions are slowly going to start being lifted AND.... quote- “if there’s a gray area, we are going to explore that gray area”....
If it is the gym I am thinking of, it does not surprise me in the least. I have heard far too many things in early days that they were skirting the regulations and I am quite sure they will continue to do so. I hope it comes back to bite them in the tush!

If it is the gym I am thinking of, it does not surprise me in the least. I have heard far too many things in early days that they were skirting the regulations and I am quite sure they will continue to do so. I hope it comes back to bite them in the tush!
Does not surprise me one bit either. I hope the parents use better judgment than he does. But, as soon as one kid goes back then other families will be eaten up thinking their child is going to get behind. And then they’ll all file back in like good little soldiers....

What is the likelihood there will a fall compulsory season? We typically start competition in late August. It seems like it will be difficult given the idea that social distancing will not fully be lifted for a number of months.
Depends on Politics and a virus.... who knows. Hopefully it all works out...

I’m going to say if it opened tomorrow, she’d be the first one at the door waiting to get in. We have most likely been exposed several times already in early January, just by testimony and symptoms experienced by several people we know close to us, including family members and gym teammates. We also have been out to the store at least once a week, and we have not worn a mask ever. I’m not worried. That sounds flippant, but we live in a world full of germs, bacteria, and viruses. We expose ourselves to death every day just by getting in our cars. We can’t live in fear or hiding in our houses forever. People need people. People need to be exposed to germs to stay healthy.

I’m going to say if it opened tomorrow, she’d be the first one at the door waiting to get in. We have most likely been exposed several times already in early January, just by testimony and symptoms experienced by several people we know close to us, including family members and gym teammates. We also have been out to the store at least once a week, and we have not worn a mask ever. I’m not worried. That sounds flippant, but we live in a world full of germs, bacteria, and viruses. We expose ourselves to death every day just by getting in our cars. We can’t live in fear or hiding in our houses forever. People need people. People need to be exposed to germs to stay healthy.
that’s where we are at also. I am not being rude or flippant either, and understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We have sheltered in place, and not done what many in our area have done-gone our, had social gatherings, etc. it has been very hard driving to the grocery store and seeing groups outside playing basketball or soccer, for ex. We did our due diligence, and I am glad we did. And we enjoyed our family time. But we now feel it is time to move on. No government plan is going to stop this from spreading, and the only way to get herd immunity is for those who are deemed healthy to catch it. We actually are pretty sure we all have already had it over here, and that it’s been in our country for awhile. I thought the study done in a county in California was fantastic, even though it is only one study. Even my mom and her friends who are in the over 65 category are feeling this way about this quarantine. And now that there have been scientists who have found out that sunlight kills the virus quickly? People will be out even more. My two cents.

I’ve a different perspective; I’m a Health employee and I’ve Been mandated ( as an obligation) to go help in elderly facility, Where the death toll is heavy. I’ m not able to think about gym in that context, and neither is m’y gymnist. I think gym should open after school re-open, and I sure hope that the situation will improve so that Schools open quickly......

I’ve a different perspective; I’m a Health employee and I’ve Been mandated ( as an obligation) to go help in elderly facility, Where the death toll is heavy. I’ m not able to think about gym in that context, and neither is m’y gymnist. I think gym should open after school re-open, and I sure hope that the situation will improve so that Schools open quickly......

I have friends on the front lines and I understand the devastation but I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Schools are regimented by the calendar year, even if they could go back the transition back to school and out for summer would ensure that no actual learning would happen. Gymnastics gyms train all year long. Send your child back when you feel it’s safe. Someone will decide when gyms can open again, some parents will think it’s too early, others not early enough.

Just popping in here briefly. Have spent much of the last week corresponding with students who are dealing with illness and death among friends and family. If it's not bad where you are, you're lucky, and you should keep doing whatever you can to keep it that way. It's not just people in nursing homes, and you aren't necessarily hearing the less exciting stories about people who get it and recover but only after having been knocked out for weeks. Stay safe, everyone and try to keep the big picture in view.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back