Parents Family experiences vs. gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tmacs

Proud Parent
I have always tried to monitor my gymnastics involvement but the reality is, I'm sucked in. I love seeing my gymnast love train and compete. She has always done very well in each level. However, we have an opportunity to move abroad for a few years before kids get to high school. It's super exciting for my husband and me (and will be for her siblings) but I dread telling my gymnast that she will need to leave her gym (we LOVE her gym and coaches) for a short time. We have found a gym that could train her abroad but it will be different. I hate that this is one of the main reasons holding me back from moving forward with our plans. She is 11 training L6/7 and wants to do college gym and I know I move like this might end that possibility. And I want to be ok with that. Gymnastics won't last forever and the opportunity to live in another country will be amazing and life changing. But I still hesitate. I know people on this board will understand the tension in a way that no one else will. What would you tell yourself? Your gymnast?

Is there no way to do gymnastics where you are moving to?

EDIT: Duh... I see you have found a gym. What do you mean it will be different?

I think your family is being presented with a fantastic opportunity. I don't know from experience, but I would think that being able to train abroad for awhile would be advantageous to your daughter's gymnastics goals. Being exposed to a different training style/culture seems like it could be exciting and (hopefully) positive experience. She can potentially become an even more amazing athlete. Do you think that your child will resist the change? She might surprise you! This could be a great teaching moment for all of your children - change can be "scary" but good, gaining appreciation for other cultures, etc. You obviously know your DD better than us random internet strangers, but I'd present her with the opportunity before worrying too much about any "what ifs". I definitely don't think you should forgo this opportunity for the sake of gymnastics.

I think your family is being presented with a fantastic opportunity. I don't know from experience, but I would think that being able to train abroad for awhile would be advantageous to your daughter's gymnastics goals. Being exposed to a different training style/culture seems like it could be exciting and (hopefully) positive experience. She can potentially become an even more amazing athlete. Do you think that your child will resist the change? She might surprise you! This could be a great teaching moment for all of your children - change can be "scary" but good, gaining appreciation for other cultures, etc. You obviously know your DD better than us random internet strangers, but I'd present her with the opportunity before worrying too much about any "what ifs". I definitely don't think you should forgo this opportunity for the sake of
I think your family is being presented with a fantastic opportunity. I don't know from experience, but I would think that being able to train abroad for awhile would be advantageous to your daughter's gymnastics goals. Being exposed to a different training style/culture seems like it could be exciting and (hopefully) positive experience. She can potentially become an even more amazing athlete. Do you think that your child will resist the change? She might surprise you! This could be a great teaching moment for all of your children - change can be "scary" but good, gaining appreciation for other cultures, etc. You obviously know your DD better than us random internet strangers, but I'd present her with the opportunity before worrying too much about any "what ifs". I definitely don't think you should forgo this opportunity for the sake of gymnastics.
thanks for this! I definitely would not compromise an opportunity for gymnastics- I just needed to vent. I think you're right... it may be great for her gymnastics or she could find something else she loves.

If I had been in your shoes when my daughter was that age/level I think I would be feeling the exact same way. You know logically you should do it, but gymnastics has this weird pull. I feel you! Now that we are a few years ahead, and even though so far my dd is still on the path she had set out for, I would tell my past self to go for it. Gymnastics may or may not work out abroad, but there’s no guarantee it will work out if you were to stay. You will have an amazing experience with your family. I don’t think you’ll kick yourself if you go, but I’m pretty sure you will if you stay. Enjoy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back