Parents Fast Tracking over...finally

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

TeamDad

We finally got to speak with dd's coaches last night and were able to ask what was happening with the fast tracking her to L7 that they mentioned in June. Everything has been in limbo while the new head coach has been establishing her program.

They decided she's going to be a L6 this year (L5 last year). They felt that she's too old (at 10 turning 11) to benefit from the jump and aren't fast tracking any of the L5's from last year (two other 10 Y.O's) and are likely holding a couple L6's from last year back. They should have a decent size team this year with probably around 10 girls. We thanked them and that was the end of that conversation. Frankly, the whole thing didn't make any sense to me to begin with.

She's going to continue up training and already has most of her L7 skills. By next year when she's a L7, they should be perfected...makes sense to me. The four day a week L6 schedule works perfectly for us this year with all dd's other activities. Switching to a five day a week L7 schedule would have been problematic at this point, so everything has worked out for the best. :D

I am glad it was such a successful meeting w/the coaches and that finally things are stabilized. So much easier for everyone involved when everyone is on the same page and no one is left "wondering"

Good for you for having such a level-headed attitude about it. I'm sure your DD will have a great season, and will probably gain lots of confidence as a result of not 'rushing' things! :)

That sounds like a good outcome and everyone's happy. One thing I don't get though--what do they mean she's "too old" to benefit from going straight to level 7?

I'm glad to hear you got it all out in the open. It is frustrating to be left in limbo and not know what to plan for! I'm sure she will have a great season and be that much more confident when she does go to level 7. Good luck.

I am glad that things worked out well for you and DD. Best of luck in her L6 season. Keep us posted on now she does.

That sounds like a good outcome and everyone's happy. One thing I don't get though--what do they mean she's "too old" to benefit from going straight to level 7?

I was wondering that myself ????

Anyway - that is great that you are no longer in limbo and have some answers. Last year my dd had the option to go right into 7 from 6, but we opted to wait so she didn't feel rushed. She had a great level 6 season and hopefully we will be able to say the same about level 7.

I don't understand that either. I thought as girls got older, the coaches usually wanted them progressing faster to get to the optional levels.

In any case, I'm glad everything has worked out for you and your daughter.

Hi all, and thanks

I believe that there were a number of factors that went into the decision with age being only consideration. I believe that if they promoted the three girls to L7 (dd being one of them), they would have either had a small L6 team missing their three best athletes that would not have been competitive, or, the other alternative would have been to not have a L6 team for this season. Probably a case of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few or the one and hopefully everyone will be happy and nobody will drop out.

As far as the age debate goes I'm not entirely sure of that one, but it didn't really matter as I feel that the decision that they made is the best one for us. I've come to the opinion that L6 'IS' an important step to the optionals for us and shouldn't be skipped over regardless of dd's age or ability. DD had a breakout year last season (second AA in states and 1st AA in two of the four meets that she was injury free and able to compete) and I don't see the benefit of skipping her a level at this point. Also, she is still not 100% injury free yet and still goes to physical therapy twice a week.

There are a few small kids on the upper level teams who have been skipped up. They started younger and have been through TOPS. They look like they belong where they are even though they are half the size of their teammates. I believe that DD is on the right track for her and if she can stay injury free she will have another successful year to build on. She will get to the Nationals soon enough if she decides to stay with the sport past L7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back