Faster Back Handspring tips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i can do them the right way but they always end up super slow! i stay tight, try to snap my legs down, have a deep sit and fast jump back into it i just don't understand why they always end up so slow!

any tips or comments at all i would really appreciate! thanks :)

Hard to say without video. The only thing that jumps right out at me the the "deep sit" There isn't a deep sit in a handspring.

When you say you are doing a deep sit, and snap your legs down, it sounds like the movement is very high and short. BHS should be long and low- it's not a jump into handstand, its a continuous flowing movement, so you can build speed. Jumping into handstand will block any speed you have. Picture a rainbow shape rather than a triangle.

Try building length- the full length of a trampoline, or chalk your hands/feet and try and beat the length of your previous one. I'd ask your coach about the deep sit too- it should be a fall back rather than a sit.

Well, I'm not sure I agree with the poster right above. The first part of the handspring is longer, but the second part is short. You want to snap down hard with your feet in front of you (or under you, depending on what skill comes next). I always say, "long reach, quick snap." Keep your arms by your ears as you snap down. Also, you shouldn't be sitting low into your handspring.
If your back handspring is slow, you need to do more conditioning and drills. Do box jumps, squats, lunges-- lots and lots of leg conditioning. Spend just as much time working handstand blocks and handstand snap downs and v-ups, too. On your handstand blocks, snap down in a nice, tight hollow with your arms by your ears. You should rebound backwards out of your snap down if you're doing it correctly.
Sounds like you need to be stronger and just get a little more practice under your belt. Good luck!

I agree with Coach Todd...there shouldn't be a "deep" sit or a "fall" back. It should be a natural bend with a jump back from balls of the feet. It could be slow for a couple of reasons. (Again, like coach Todd said...without a video it is hard to say for certain).
(1) You may be a little flat footed on take off, (2) be sure you are squeezing and driving the hips/bootie throughout the skill, and (3) if this is a standing BHS, the timing with the arm swing and jump could be off a little. I am assuming you have good coaching and this (#3) is something that is often missed or forgotten. Begin the BHS with the body in a hollow position and the body leaning slightly forward so the pressure of the body weight is over the balls of the feet. Do not bend the legs for the jump until the arms are beginning to move forward. The maximum arm reach/extension and the maximum extension of the legs should happen at the same time for optimal explosion off the floor. If you begin the BHS with the arm swing and the legs starting at the same time, it can result in the arms reaching maximum extension before the legs finish pushing and this "off" timing can kill the power of the jump.
Hope that is helpful !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back