Parents Fat pad impingement in knee

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LGnyc

Proud Parent
Anyone have any experience with this? It seems as though there is a bumper or fat pad under the knee cap that can get inflamed from hyperextension or overuse. And bc it is rife with nerves it can be painful if it flares.

Just wondering if anyone knows about recovery time, success of PT, what to expect. Thanks.

I don’t have an answer for you, but I do have a question - how was that diagnosed?

Dd has been having knee pain for a couple of months and we’ve yet to find an answer. Regular MRI about 1.5 months ago showed nothing. Going for a high-powered (triple magnet) MRI this week to hopefully find an answer.

She had an X-ray and an MRI. I do believe the larger one. (Didn’t know it was called that) Dr. said he diagnosed based on the physical exam and placement of pain, the fact that the mri showed that the rest of the knee was healthy (no tears or anything out of alignment) and where it showed inflammation. He also said her fat pad was on the larger side so understandable how it got injured.

What are your DD’s symptoms? Placement of pain etc? Happy to tell you more if it fits.

Pain seems to be below and behind the knee cap. Pain with high impact, no problem walking or normal activity.

She is doing PT to strengthen her hip muscules which should help put less strain on her knee. They did say some minor inflammation behind the knee cap on the first MRI, but concerned because it isn’t getting better. She has reduced doing floor and vault for the past 2 months, but we are heading into states & I know she really wants to do AA so she has a shot at regionals (L8).

I’m not a doctor but sounds very similar. DD’s pain was largely underneath but also extended to the inside and back. Which made sense to him bc the pad extends to those places and is so sensitive. It seems like my dd did something to catch or snap it at one point so she can’t put weight on it or straighten.
Her protocol was rest and PT. He was pleased there was no long term damage.

My dd can straighten and has full flexibility, so hopefully not as severe. We’ll see what the doc says after the high-powered MRI. Have to go to another facility over an hour away as there are none local.

Our ortho was surprised by inability to straighten. Bummer about mri but glad you have it scheduled. Good luck with mri and states.

My daughter had this when she was around level 6 I think. PT and then continuing to do exercises when PT was done did the trick.

My daughter had this when she was around level 6 I think. PT and then continuing to do exercises when PT was done did the trick.

Do you remember how bad it was or how long it lasted? I'm looking for light at the end of the tunnel bc she already has a wrist thing and tumbling was the only thing she could do and she was really enjoying it. Thx.

Do you remember how bad it was or how long it lasted? I'm looking for light at the end of the tunnel bc she already has a wrist thing and tumbling was the only thing she could do and she was really enjoying it. Thx.
Let’s see. I don’t think it ever kept her out of practice or from competing, she probably just reduced deep knee bends, lots of ice and did fewer reps on things that aggravated it. I don’t remember it lasting terribly long, maybe a couple months? My kid had so many injuries that they all kind of run together.

Let’s see. I don’t think it ever kept her out of practice or from competing, she probably just reduced deep knee bends, lots of ice and did fewer reps on things that aggravated it. I don’t remember it lasting terribly long, maybe a couple months? My kid had so many injuries that they all kind of run together.

Do you remember what aggravated it? And what made you get it checked out? Did it coincide with growing? Re: injuries - you and me both. What level is she now?

Actually she was taking a dance class and that’s what made it flare up (the deep knee bends/plies). She had patellofemoral knee syndrome several years earlier but this was more painful which is why we took her in. She retired last year as a L8 unfortunately (not related to the knee but to other injuries).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back