Favorite protein bars and drinks?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD (10) likes Boost High Protein drinks. It has 15g of protein per 8oz serving (8oz milk has 8g). She used to drink one 3 days per week when we pulled her from school early for practice... She's quite a slow eater and she'd have just 5 minutes to ingest nutrition to sustain a 4 hour practice. So she'd drink that and eat approx. 5 grapes. :)

She'll occasionally eat protein bars but not very often. Sometimes I'll buy some and chop them into small squares and just add a couple to her gym bag with her snack (nuts, pretzels, and a fruit). DS loves them, too - he wants to be like big sis. We restrict them to his practice days (he'd eat them every day, pretty sure), so twice per week, but I usually cut them in half (he's 7). Sometimes he's sneaky, though.

We'll usually buy Balance bars - both kids are partial to cookie dough flavor, though sometimes they'll do chocolate mint Luna bars, too.

Doc says it's all ok, but he'd much prefer they eat actual food.

We try for whole, unprocessed and preferably homemade foods whenever possible.

I figure if the foods found in nature pretty much the balance will be just fine.

Unless in unusual circumstances I would caution relying too much on processed foods and drink/shakes.

Often the added vitamins end up creating other imbalances, as each added vitamin needs x amount of other vitamins to absorb them- which may not necessarily have been added to the product.

What about Clif bars or their kid friendly counterpart, Z-bars? 70% organic, no artificial blasphemy, good protein-fat-carb ratio. I'm partial to the nut free Coconut Chocolate Chip flavour.

As far as drinks maybe even Instant Breakfast would work? Lived off those when my wisdom teeth came out.

Hm.... I like those CLIF bars and Luna bars. They taste really good. And are really good.

Bog standard chocolate milk for us.

Fat, protein, carbs, vits, minerals, calories. Pretty much everything you need in a sports drink :)

For snack bars I give them baby cereal bars- in the uk the brand is organix goodies. Mainly fruit and oats. No processed sugar or other nasties.

We love Kind bars and Lara bars. A bit pricey, but there's usually less than 7 ingredients and you can pronounce them all. Protein should be the least of your gymnast's worries.

Oatmegas are my dude's favorite. I'm with you that with multiple kids, a more-than-full time work job, then the job of managing school, sports, health, ugh, some of us just need the support of packaged goods! I'm sure there is something to critique in the nutrition, but seems perhaps better than some others out there?
Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 3.50.05 PM.png

We make our own smoothies.

Plain full fat yogurt, milk, honey, frozen or fresh fruit, chocolate, mix and into the thermos.

OH YEAH are delicious. Have you seen the 1/2 size ones? They are still 200-ish calories. They were on sale 10 for $10 yesterday and I stocked up. My kids love the one that tastes like snickers.
My dd hates all this stuff. And she hates the protein bars too. She actually has no break at gym so she sucks down one of those organic apple pear kale mango applesauce consistency thingees....I have to get protein in her b4 practice or after. But homemade granola is so easy to make as are bars.!!!

My dd hates all this stuff. And she hates the protein bars too. She actually has no break at gym so she sucks down one of those organic apple pear kale mango applesauce consistency thingees....I have to get protein in her b4 practice or after. But homemade granola is so easy to make as are bars.!!!

You should have her try the Core power shakes. My dd hated it all until finding them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back