WAG Favorite yurchenko drills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a group of level 4s and 5s whose handspring vaults are coming along very well. We've been doing the same yurchenko drills as side stations for quite a while now. We have a 5 week break from meets coming up and I'd like to get some new drills to keep it interesting. We've been doing round-off back tucks onto a panel mat and 8 inch and off TT onto about 24", BHS over the TT trainer on the floor and some hurdle drills and round offs to back. I know there are a ton more drills but I'm looking for the ones that are most effective and/or most fun (while still being helpful). Thanks!

Rybecki drill , (standing BHS on panel mat that is either on a rod floor or 2 overlapping spring boards, to a stand. ) Standing BHS on a tramp with 8 inch mat to block and land on back after block.
Round off o to a board into the pit double lay, or single working whip.

Gymnastics Minute R/O drills:

Great r/o basics. These are drills that we use on our "basics" vault day.

Local coach Blocking drills:

I use many of the drills on this vid as side stations. These are excellent low impact drills.

Mary Lee Tracy Drills:

I use these drills as standard side stations. I use the iPad with this vid as a reference in the gym. The gymnasts can review as they see need. I agree w/MLT that the athletes need to know what the drills are focusing on and when to apply them in their vault.

At least 3 times a week at this point of the season I am using this drill. In combination with full vaults this has helped my more novice "flippers" to get confidence in flipping the vault.

I hope the above assist, SBG -

Thanks so much. There are some really great ones there.
Also, arms up or down coming off the table? I see both being done.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back