Fear of going backward on Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymnast7

Tonight at gymnastics on beam it was terrible, same with last week as well. I have had a back walkover inconsistently for about a year. I am able to do it on the high beam, but I usually make my hands on the beam not my feet. Anyway, tonight I was scared to go back at all. I didn't want to do it on a low beam. My body was just too scared to go back even though I wanted to. I tried the stop, breathe, visualize, and go method but it wouldn't help. I even put mats on the side of the low beam but I was still scared. When my coach was going to spot me I still didn't go back. I did tons of them on floor, but when I got to that low beam I would have my arms by my ears for the longest time and never go back. I am usually never scared, but for the past two weeks it changed. Is there any drill I can do to calm my fear? Do you have any advice on the situation? Thanks, all advice and help is welcomed!

Beam can be a tough event so don't stress too much. Getting scared is pretty common. Take little steps until you're ready to do it consistantly on the high beam. Get some mats and put them over the low beam, get your coach to help you and just work your way up.
Don't stress, it will come back.

Thanks! As soon as I do one alone again I should hopefully get over my fear. :)

Good Luck. I'm sure you know you can do it, your body knows you can do it...you just have to get your head wrapped around knowing you can do it....and hopefully it will come very soon. Sometimes those negative thoughts are so much louder than the positive ones....keep working hard to block those out and let the positive ones flow in. Seems is is one of the hardest fears to overcome and just know that you are not alone...If my DGD didn't have this fear, her beam would be awesome, because the rest of it is, as is yours probably as well. Know that it will come in time if you just don't give up or give in to that fear....

Hi! hope you get over your fear! and also I want to tell you what I do when I´m scared of beam! The only thing that works for me is not thinking anything, when my coach says do it even if I´m afraid a said yes and go to do the excersice becouse if I think to much I get mental and don´t do anything! so be positive! if your coach tell you to do it is because you really can do it!! GOOD LUCK! :)

I guess it is my fear getting the best of me! Positive thinking is an excellent method to overcome this! Also, I feel like I maybe did think way too much about it before going. The more I thought about I felt it was impossible when really it wasn't. Thanks again!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back