WAG Fear Of Rolls--Please Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm fourteen (late for starting, I know, but I've found that I just really enjoy the sport), and very much a gymnastics beginner. I've been making a lot of progress in my first few classes, and I'm very excited about all the new skills I'm learning; however, I've started to find some mental blocks that are really getting in my way, and I don't understand why I have them.
I am paralyzingly afraid of rolls.
I don't know why. I can do front tucks on the trampoline, and dive rolls, and handstand flatbacks, but if I have to go from sitting on the ground into a front roll, I freeze up. I haven't been able to make myself do a back roll, either. I have no fear on beam, or bars, or vault, but rolls? I freak out.
I have no idea where this fear comes from. I've only fallen on my neck/head/back a couple of times, and those times were while attempting backbends with no spotter. In martial arts, I've done rolls while diving over a five-foot stack of mats. In track, I practiced high jump without nerves. But now, when it comes to rolls, I just can't seem to get around my fear.
Does anyone have any tips for conquering these fears, or thoughts as to why I have them? I would really appreciate any advice on the subject. Thanks!!

If you are used to doing rolls that don't go straight over the top, but turn - as in dance and maybe martial arts - it may be scary to try to do a roll straight over your head or a roll where you can't see the ground. Your body might be reacting to what it knows how to do, and shifting in the middle - which can be scary and unexpected.

In general with any fears, the best thing to do is slow it down and break the skill down into the steps. Start on a wedge mat - squat down with your hands down - tuck your head in to your chest and just fall forward to your back. Then try it on a mat that has no incline - e.g. an 8 inch mat. Then on the floor. Work up to doing it from standing instead of from a squat by doing a progressively higher stance each time. The scary thing about forward rolls is probably not being able to see the ground, though it's odd that you don't have a fear of dive rolls or front tucks. since it's mechanically very similar.

For backward rolls, sit on the top of a wedge mat, put your hands next to your ears. Lie down and put your hands on the ground so that your fingertips are facing toward your shoulders. Bring your feet up and over your head. If you have enough stomach and arm strength, you can get over from here. If not, you will need to sit up again and do the motion faster to get some momentum. Then try it on a mat with no incline, then on the floor.

I love how many teen gymnasts there are (hi, I'm one too :) ). I also did martial arts, and adjusting from the "roll over the shoulder" technique was a little strange for me, too. As you've probably worked out, the two methods are completely different, which is likely part of why you're thrown off. Personally I have an irrational fear of handstand forward rolls, so I know where you're coming from!

Rolling down a wedge will be very helpful, because there's absolutely no danger, and you just have to let gravity do its thing. Tuck your head in, lean forward, and just roll over onto your back, land in a splat if you want to. Once you're used to the feeling of going directly over your head, not diagonally, you can start to roll properly.

Rolling on the ground - take it really slowly. Same as the wedge, tick your chin in, round your back, get low to the ground, and let gravity do the work. Do this as many times as you need!

Backwards rolls are a bit harder because you need more confidence to provide the force to roll over (gravity won't help you here) so wait till you've mastered going forwards.

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back