WAG Fear of roundoff BHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm 16 and I've been doing roundoff back handsprings since the year I started gymnastics when I was about 10. It's a physically easy skill for me and I'm also capable of doing multiple back handsprings and back tucks and layouts. About 6 months ago I fell on my head during my BHS and after that I started doing less and less until I couldn't do it anymore. I can (sometimes) do it on a tumble track or onto a big mat, but on the floor or on a sting mat I just can't get my self to do it. I feel like I've tried everything, I've visualized the skill, I've tried meditation, watching videos, and countless drills but I just haven't been able to do it and I can't figure it out. Also if you ask me why I'm scared I really don't know, I just feel like I'm going to fall on my head again but I know the chances of that are slim to nothing. What should I do :(

Something else is that I'm a sophomore in high school, I don't want to have to take a break from gymnastics because I only have two years left after this, and I don't want to waste any time if that makes sense

I also have gotten fears like that, and I felt like if I didn't get over them I would eventually quit. But for the love I have for the sport I kept pushing even though I was scared. Now I have gotten past all of my fears and all it took was self-confidence for me! For example saying metal things as "No Fear" and then trying to go. I would ask for spot and start all over with the basics. Also the self-confidence can help you on any event and with any skill. It helps me all of the time now!:) Just be confident that you can do this and that you have done it before. Your body knows physically how to do it and so you won't ever get hurt.:) You will get it, it just takes time!!:)

Gymdog,
Standing BHS are fine, and I can do standing back tucks too! It's really the connection that freaks my out

Everyone else, thanks for the tips! I'll use your suggestions and keep working at it :)

Gymdog,
Standing BHS are fine, and I can do standing back tucks too! It's really the connection that freaks my out

Everyone else, thanks for the tips! I'll use your suggestions and keep working at it :)

Have you tried doing two back handsprings connected from standing on the track? Maybe that will be easier

Maybe start back slow with an easy connection like a cartwheel step together back handspring? Thas what I'd do but everyone is different especially regarding mental blocks!

This sounds crazy, but treat it like it's no big deal. Keep doing what you're doing (meditation and watching videos). Give it time, relax, and remember why you started the sport. When your mind's ready to go, you will go :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back