Fear?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm in my early 30s and was a (non-competitive) gymnast until I was about 16 or so. I've been wanting to get back into it, specifically trampolining, for years now but always figured I'd be too old. I just signed up for a trampoline class at a local circus school and I'm stoked! I'm also going to be taking an adult gymnastics class at the local university, but that doesn't start until May.

Problem is, I know that I have this fear of front rotation tricks. I can go backwards without a problem, but for some reason going forward scares me. I feel like I'm going to land on my head or something.

I've been trying to find tips/advice to help me through this but haven't had much luck. Any tips/suggestions from you fine folks here would be so appreciated! Thank you!

Good on you for getting back into it! I was also a non-competitive gymnast as a kid and started again a couple of years ago at age 43.

I would try jumping off the end of the tumble track onto a big soft mat, or jumping off a mat into the foam pit, just doing a kind of dive roll, like a little somersault but just land on your butt. I'm not sure if I'm describing that well! Once you're okay with that you can gradually make it more somersault-like and less roll-like, until eventually you'll do a proper somersault and land on your feet. On trampoline, there are soft mats you can put on the tramp for the purpose, and try the same kind of thing.

I would try jumping off the end of the tumble track onto a big soft mat, or jumping off a mat into the foam pit, just doing a kind of dive roll, like a little somersault but just land on your butt. I'm not sure if I'm describing that well! Once you're okay with that you can gradually make it more somersault-like and less roll-like, until eventually you'll do a proper somersault and land on your feet. On trampoline, there are soft mats you can put on the tramp for the purpose, and try the same kind of thing.

This^^^ but i would also add: learn them by doing a roll onto mats stacked up a meter high (about 3 regular crash mats) and progress to attempting to rotate all the way onto your feet. As you get this or begin to get close to achieving it start taking off a mat or two. Hopefully you will find yourself doing it on a flat surface very soon. Front saults are harder than back saults in my opinion. but it is just unusual to fear them more.

Thanks!! Neither place has a tumble track OR a foam pit, but I like the idea of piling the mats up! There's another gymnastics club that does have both of these things BUT the day the adult group meets isn't ideal and it's further away. Sounds like it might be worthwhile, though...

It really isn't necessary to have a tumble track or trampoline. If it has a mini tram or even a spring board this will help. But if they don't just learn on floor. I would still start with high mats but maybe a little lower as realistically it is hard to bounce that high when you first start. Good luck. Let me know when you can do it on flat :p

Thanks! We do have a trampoline - I'm actually taking trampoline classes. It's just the tumble track and foam pit that we don't have. I shouldn't be afraid to do the forward tricks on a trampoline! That's my problem! I can't figure out how to get over THAT fear. Yeesh! It seems so simple... Well, I guess I'll just have to screw it and do it and we'll see how it goes!

Like i said. Stack up mats. Start by putting your hands on the mats and forward rolling onto it. Then begging putting your hands down latter. Then miss your hands altogether and do it like a dive roll onto your back. Then keep practicing and trying to rotate to your feet. As you get better take off a mat. Continue this process till your fear is gone.

We do have a trampoline - I'm actually taking trampoline classes.

My older DD does trampoline classes and they have soft mats they use on the trampoline when people begin learning somersaults. Do they have anything like that at your trampoline class?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back