Parents Fears

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know this topic has come up before.I feel bad for my daughter.She will be 10 in a couple of days and competed Level 7 last year.She did pretty good at State.She is training for Level 8 and had all her tumbling on floor.She does Fronthandspring Frontwhip Fronttuck or pike,she also has to do a Backhandspring Layout 1/1 and Backhandspring Layout 1 1/2 .She has done them well on Regular Floor and now all of a sudden she will not even do them into the foampit with mat,not even the 1/1.She did not crash and I don't think she saw anybody else crash.She says she is afraid to do them know.She was afraid of her BHS Layout last year before competition,she has no proplems with them now.She will start out as a Level 7 and I hope she will overcome her fear so she can do Level 8.The coaches have her go back to basics and relearning the twist.Any Suggestions?

youtube.com/hunde2

It sounds as though her coaches are approaching it the right way, taking her back to "basics" is the best way to help overcome fears, IMHO. She will be able to build back her confidence that way. Also beginning the season as a level 7 will enable her to do well whilst having a positive goal to work on. As opposed to competitng as and 8 and doing poorly or being overwhelmed by fear.

I think that fears are common at this age, in all aspects of life, she will get over them in her own way. But, I think a lot of positive reinforcement helps. I know a parent posted a website that had a lot of great info about headgames, meaning how to mentally prepare for these issues. I'll see if I can track it down, it made logical reading. I'm all for logical.

Last edited:
Emily went through a mental block this past fall and we got past it thank god and I am sure your dd will too. Your dd's coaches are doing exactly what they should and that link provided is awesome to read.
I hope she will be twisting in no time and blowing everyone away in her level 8 meets;)

I think you've received a lot of helpful advice thus far. All these comments force me to recall many worrisome moments I've had over my own dd's fortunes and misfortunes.

I think that what gymnastics parents need to recognize is that we endure much of the same psychological trauma that our daughters experience in their sport. Their psychological trauma results from the challenge of facing new skills and the rigors of recovering from inevitable injuries.
We parents are faced with reliving our own travails in sports in our past lives as well as observing the unfolding challenges of our dds in gymnastics. We can only seek to understand the depth of their obstacles as you are doing about your daughters particulars hurdles. But we must also be mindful of our own personal response to their challenges and how our own reations to these problems may impact on the psychi of our daughters. There is such a fine line between showing concern and support and expressing panic and despair. Maybe this challenge is present in all sports. As the parent of another gymnast, my heartfelt support goes out to you and your daughter. But as others have commented, your daughter's present obstacles are something which she can certainly and ultimately overcome.

May your daughter persevere and excell,

Tuduri

DD came home from gym yesterday and said she did her full twist,ment to do a half but did the full,she was so excited.I told her to imagine doing it in her mind before she goes to sleep.She told me she does not have to do that anymore since she has it back now.I thought that was so funny when she said that.I hope she keeps her confidence up.She seems much happier now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back