WAG Feedback for DD's Lvl 6 Vault?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, I am no judge but from what I understand the step on the landing is maybe 2-3 tenths and she needs to hollow out her body on the second half of the vault. I sure hope that my limited in sight helped!

The step is .1. It has to be 3 feet or more to get .2. Anyway, I wouldn't even worry about the step, it's minor. Work on the other things and the landing will get better. My own dd never stuck a landing without a step. It was frustrating, but her vaults were powerful, so I think her momentum always caused a step. I know Tim Dagget harps on those "stuck landings," but that is really minor compared to everything else. She could stick like glue every time, but if the rest of the vault is not good, it won't matter that she didn't move her feet. (I'm not saying her vault isn't good, that was just an example. It's not a bad vault at all, just a few things to work on that have been mentioned.)

my kid has never stuck a vault.
It is always one of her goals.
Maybe this year?:rolleyes:
And maybe not.:p
But vault is her fave event, and she does pretty ok...so I told her don't worry about that step. Try your best, but there are many parts of the vault more important than that step!:D

She has a nice vault. I'd give it a low 9, she has a nice start though. As others mentioned, she's a little arched off the table, and her run is a little slow (but runs aren't scored so that doesn't play into the score. She has a nice repulsion but a faster run would make it even better! The step would be .1-.2, but I'd focus on the run first. The vault that I did (level 4) that earned a 9.55 was with a step - but good repulsion and body shape. She has a nice start though, good luck to her in the rest of the season!

Thanks everyone! All very helpful info! This is one of her stronger events, but she's pretty much capped off making any more progress since lvl 4. It looks the same as it did two levels ago, so at this point getting into the fine details should make her aware of what needs to be fixed next.

We are aware of the step...you can't hide it. She'll have to figure out how to correct that.

And I can see what thefellowsmom was saying about the block off the table. It could be better. From the demo video of the athlete who scored the 9.9, my DD should literally barely touch the table. She pops off pretty good, but not like the 9.9 athlete.
I just noticed in the videos that she is looking down at the mat when she lands. Tell her to look forward instead. She's actually pulls her head down in one of the landings. That does make it a little harder to stick.

I just noticed in the videos that she is looking down at the mat when she lands. Tell her to look forward instead. She's actually pulls her head down in one of the landings. That does make it a little harder to stick.
It's funny you said that because one of her coaches noticed this last week and told her the exact same thing! She just had a meet in NY and got the highest score out of all the lvl 6s in all age groups. Her step was smaller this time for sure. It did help. Such a small thing to make such a difference.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back