Feedback on video of routine?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is it possible for me to post a video of my daughter's routine & receive feedback from coaches/judges on this forum? I see routines at meets and on youtube that look (to me) exactly like my daughters form/ability/faults... granted, I am a parent and I don't see all of the technical details, but there are times when I am just stunned that her score was low. I would love to have feedback from someone who can help us see where she needs to improve.

Thanks!

The only thing I can offer you is that gymnastics is a long slow journey. You are right at the very beginning, and if your gymmie sticks with it you will be in for many, many meets that seem poorly judged, or she has a bad day or just don't seem right.

Talk to her coach, tell her you'd like to understand more. You can and will learn a lot here though and we are all learning together.

Try not to coach your little one at home, even if it is with verbal fixes to her problems, you will end up confusing her and her coach will not understand what is going on. I can tell you are feeling frustrated with some of her skills and want to fix them, but unless you have a coaching background there is not a lot you can do. Improvement for some kids takes hundreds of repetitions in the gym.

There is so much in a compulsory routine. Watch this L3 and you can see what almost perfect is, and what perfect bars do look like. YouTube - Level 3 Gymnastics State Meet 10 on Bars

I totally know where you are coming from I have had my moments of not getting where a score came from, it is part of gym.

Nice to have you on the Chalkbucket.

Feel free to post your video here, we have a few judges and they may be able to shed some light on it for you.

Last edited:
I (and I'm sure others) would be happy to provide feedback on your daughter's routine. (I am only certified to judge up to level 6, just as a disclaimer)

The routine linked by bog above is not usag. I am not too familiar as no one does aau in our area, but usag is quite a bit harder at this level requiring both a stride circle and a pike sole circle dismount... just fyi.

I know I shouldn't coach her at home, and I really try to encourage without "coaching". I certainly don't want to frustrate her... and I know after being criticized by the coaches and spanked by the judges (lol), she doesn't want to be critiqued by her parents. I am very cautious of that and try to give her only encouragement and support.

This is her second year of level 4, and I'm feeling frustrated because our small gym has a lot of coach turnover (college town, coaches graduate and we get someone new with a different coaching style... strengths/weaknesses need of the gymnasts need to be learned by the new coach... you get the picture). We did some private lessons last spring and she was finally starting to look more refined. Scored 8.925 on vault and floor at the state championship. After six months of practices (wish we could have afforded camp), she has lost some of her skills. She did what I (and some other gymnasts) expected to be an 8-something on bars... they gave her a 7.2!!! Her beam, after last year scoring 8.8 at the Coaches Cup in Covington, this time it was 7.65!!! My little girl works so hard and puts her whole heart into her practices... it breaks my heart, and I don't want the disadvantages she is dealing with to affect her self-confidence. I just don't understand why her scores were so low, and I wondered if someone on here could help me understand.

We're planning to do some private lessons again, and to sign her up for a winter clinic in December. She has so much potential... not tons of raw talent, but she's tough and she works hard and is very coachable. I'd love to be able to send her to camp next summer, and I'd love to afford a top-notch gym. But for now we're doing the best with what we have. I just want to use outside resources (like clinics and this group) to better support her.

I do appreciate your feedback! How would I go about posting the video?

Thanks!

To post you video, first put it on youtube, if you don't have an account there it is relatively simple to set up. Once you have done that you can just copy the link and paste it into your post here. If you get stuck give me a shout and I will help you.

It is very hard to see them struggle when things have been going well. Do her routines look the same, sometimes judging can be very tough at one meet and it is a shock to everyone, then the next meet all is back to normal.

I'm hoping that's the case. Last year the judges at this meet were pretty harsh, too. She so badly wants to be on the podium, and last year she was just a couple of 10ths away from placing floor at state. She's hungry for some metal!

I'll give the youtube upload a shot. Thanks for your help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back