Parents Feeling discouraged

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I understand now, yeah I’m not so much worried about her making it to college level gymnastics as much as feeling like I didn’t allow her the possibility to if that’s what she really wanted I mean heck I don’t even know if she’s gonna want to go to college and I really don’t know if I want to risk seen her getting hurt so we’re definitely not pushing anything I just want her to have the ability to compete and go as far as she wants and then I’ll be my fault that I started hurting competitive gymnastics too late for anything
It not be my fault**

No, that’s definitely not too late. It depends more on the child’s ability and desire. Conversely, it doesn’t matter how early you start a kid, if they don’t have the desire and ability they won’t go far.

I agree with the others that it is definitely not too late to start the competition track and that anything is still possible. But I also agree that you should just enjoy the process and the experiences along the way and not worry about being "behind" at this point. So much can change between now and college age and you just can't predict or know right now about how it will all end up. But yes, scoring out of levels is possible and making it to level 10 is still possible.

And yes it's crazy to look back and see how few gymnasts choose or are able to stay in the sport all the way to level 10. Looking back, no one else in my daughter's training group or level 2 group are still in the sport. 1 from her level 3 team, but she's been injured/not competed for 2 years. And only a handful from levels 4, 5 and 7 are still competing.

I understand where you're coming from. I felt the same way - I had no idea whether dd would want to pursue college gymnastics when she first started competing but I wanted to make sure that the path was available to her just in case.
I think what the others are referring to is that the stats are low - only 10% of those who start competing at the low levels (3/4) make it to L10. And only about 25% of those in L10 make it to college gymnastics, at all levels. Only about 50% of those will be recruited for a gymnastics scholarship. So yeah - very small number make it to a college team and even less with a scholarship. In other words, don't go into gymnastics hoping to pay for college. If it eventually happens, that is just icing on the cake.

At age 8, my daughter started competing level 3. At 9, she finished level 3, scored out of 4, 5, and competed 6.

Seriously you have no idea what kind of path life could take you on. Mine was first invited to level 1/2 when she just turned 5, but I didn’t think she was ready to deal with the stress of competing (and she has always found competing to be stressful). We put her in pre team at another gym at her coaches recommendation, she did level 1 at 6, level 2 at 7, and I know most states don’t even do those levels but where we are… they are super popular.

We moved gyms due to a coaching conflict, but the new gym looked at my daughter on bars and asked why would she be competing level 3. Her old gym was a great foundation, but she’s been able to fly in optionals.

No gym has ever told us she was too old for any level (or her best friend who is 11.5 and done the same levels), I would side eye anyone who didn’t see a pathway for an 8 year old at level 3. If she does level 4 at 9, she’s going to be in the younger age group at nearly every meet. If she then goes to level 6 or 7 at 10, welcome to being in Junior A, where we live! Uh… sounds super old lol

I think what the others are referring to is that the stats are low - only 10% of those who start competing at the low levels (3/4) make it to L10. And only about 25% of those in L10 make it to college gymnastics, at all levels. Only about 50% of those will be recruited for a gymnastics scholarship. So yeah - very small number make it to a college team and even less with a scholarship. In other words, don't go into gymnastics hoping to pay for college. If it eventually happens, that is just icing on the cake.
And as someone who had a daughter competed D1 NCAA gymnastics, I say be careful what you wish for as it's not the be all end all it's cracked up to be...

We all love to promote that hard work will get you where you want to be. The reality is that sheer talent is probably the biggest factor for success in gymnastics - now that talent still needs the right gym/coaches eventually, a love of the sport, hard work, parental support, the right mental state, confidence, luck etc..
The fact that your gym is still willing to work with your child despite her being 'old' in some views suggests that she is worthwhile to them. If she enjoys the sport and you can support her - let her dream, her 'success' or lack of is probably out of your control anyway :)

My daughter started gym at 6 .. competed level 2 at 7… scored in the middle of the pack.

She’s now in 6th grade and a level 8… winning meets. I just never pictured her doing so well.

She has many teammates who get division 1 scholarships.. but man is gymnastics hard and unpredictable - injuries, puberty, sheer will - so many things happen!!

I am not sure my daughter will even do college gym! Let alone would I have any clue when she was 7. I’m just taking it day by day. She loves gym more than anything, but I’ve seen talented girls quit and other girls have terrible injuries.

Just let her have fun and gain skills!!

While making it to a college team sounds awesome, the only thing you as a parent can do that will always be the right thing is support your daughter on a day to day basis. Showing her you are on her team will be something you will never look back and regret. Plus gymnastics and life are stressful enough, she’ll always remember having you support her : )

She's 8...she's not too old! I would be a bit concerned that the gym is telling you she is? There are 10yr olds on my gyms level 2 team. Every individual path is different. I would also caution against gym hopping too much, as the relationships these athletes make with their teammates are often what builds their love of the sport and keeps them going when it gets tough.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back