Coaches Feeling frustrated, like we'll never make it to the top.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I started with my group four years ago, when they were going to start competing old level 4. They were so bad. Most of them didn't have even standing back handsprings or real flat back vaults and most of them were missing two or more skills on bars. They've come a long way. We've gotten better each year and I know I've become a better coach in that time. Two years ago we were 7th at states, last year we were third. But I feel like we've hit a plateau. I can get them to 9.5s and 9.6s but we can't get any higher. I thought we had a good shot this year but the gym that always wins just posted a 10.0 level 4 floor routine. I was happy with how our first meet went this weekend, getting 9.2s average on that event with some room for improvement, until I saw that. I just feel like we'll never catch up and like I don't know how to get the girls there.

Why should they score 10.00 on floor? It's extremely rare to score a perfect ten and in my opinion if you can score that high you should move up and do it fast. Why would you waste time trying to achieve something that most gymnasts are not physically able to achieve? I mean, not all of them have perfect bodies with natural turn out and straight legs and straight shoulder line. You can spend time perfecting those things and you absolutely should, but you can't use all the time doing that if you want your gymnasts learn other things too. There is zillion things in gymnastics you have to focus on and there is very few gymnasts who can achieve the perfectness on all of those areas. And you NEED to be perfect in EVERYTHING to score a ten.

If I were you I would ask myself why do I want them to win so badly? Why isn't it enough they IMPROVE and do their best? I mean, you cannot control what the other gyms do. They might practice more hours, have more coaches and smaller groups, have better equipment etc etc. They might also have many repeaters or they might have a very high standards to even get into team. You never know.

It sounds like your girls are doing really well. You should be proud of yourself! No matter how well you train them they might never get to the point they are scoring tens, but that doesn't matter. In the end, after 10 to 20 years, they remember how good time they had doing gymnastics, not how high they scored.

The kids who start out the season with 9.6 or above on events are pretty much maxed out, don't focus on the next meet, look at the date of state meet and add 3 or 4 tenths to each event by then and you are caught up. And don't forget to up train! :)

Who cares...maybe that girl is on her third season of this level. If they are improving and get to optionals that is what is important. My state has gotten ridiculously competitive in compulsories, with gyms repeating kids who won 1st AA at states the season before. Our seasons are a full calendar year so that's just silly and I'm not gonna play that game, I just take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks. I wasn't going to change what I was doing to chase after the score. We do tons of up training as well as routines. The girls continue to improve so I know scores will go up. I'd still like to out score them. At some point. On some thing. Apparently the girl was in only her second meet ever!

Thanks. I wasn't going to change what I was doing to chase after the score. We do tons of up training as well as routines. The girls continue to improve so I know scores will go up. I'd still like to out score them. At some point. On some thing. Apparently the girl was in only her second meet ever!

Okay well that is impressive, but maybe she is the next Gabbie Douglas...that kind of talent is not something you can just beat. If she came to your gym she might get a 10 too.

-
well in my opinion the easiest event to outscore people on is Bars. (in other words you don't have to spend a bunch of time working dance to score high).

I think we're ahead of the game on bars (but that's just from the first meet). We'll keep working. Not too much dance. Got it!

I would love to have that attitude of 'who cares where we finish, lets just have fun.' Unfortunately, I'm the owner and despite what the parents say, they do care!! I'm surrounded by lots of high powered gyms, so if I don't get the job done, they will go somewhere else where they do. Just the hard cold facts of the situation we find ourselves in....
I have a gym close by the is known State wide for producing 'professional compulsory gymnasts.' Lot of 10.0's, so good for them, but I have no desire to compete with that. If you go to meet scores online, you will see most have been competing their level for 2 years, and a couple 3 years! (yes, I said years, and not seasons!) I have no idea how they are able to convince the kids and parents to do that, but they do. Some of the girls are so old and developed, we joke that they must drive and get the coaches their cigarettes! ;)
Had some girls go over there years ago and the parents tell me what great scores they are getting. I'm like 'glad to see Suzy doing so well in her third year at level 4, but did you notice that her former teammates are winning optionals now?' ;)
Doing that ruins any chance for the child to ever do any real gymnastics, and is completely self serving to the owners and club. My girls get three 36.00's or above and chances are they are moving up.
As for the one girl you mentioned, good for her, but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Our skills are always good, but when we really want to pull in the high scores, we focus extra on the detail, sharpness, and execution of the routine and that is what really seems to make a difference with the judges. Keep up the good work. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back