WAG Feeling like I'm going to peel off the bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
I had grips and I felt like I was going to peel when I would swing. After I actually peeled once and broke my arm I decided it was time for new grips (I could completely straighten my hand with the leather still bent like it would be around the bar) I held off long in the first place because my coach said they were fine every time I asked her.

Now with my new grips I still feel like I'm going to peel in my back swing while doing tap swings or any swings in preparation for a skill (uprise, flyaway etc..)

It could be my swing in general. But I'm also beginning to think my new grips (ish - they're about 5 months worn in only doing level 5/6 skills once-twice a week) are also to long. Though my coach also said these are a fine length.
Comparing them to teammates I shouldn't be able to completely open and extend my hand then they're on correct? And I can. I've included pictures. Can any coaches weigh in on this?

If not the grips, or along with the grips what could make me feel like or potentially actually peel from the bar? If the swing may be the problem I can try to get a video next time I'm in the gym.
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1426647025.346651.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1426647044.492613.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1426647055.561923.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1426647064.095733.jpg

These grips are absolutely too big. Your teammates are correct; you shouldn't be able to fully open your hands with correctly sized grips on. Tell your coach that you are getting new grips because you're not willing to break another arm.

those are either too big or too stretched out. time for new ones. :)

Reactions: sce
Thanks!! I'll have to get new ones for sure! One broken elbow was enough!

I'll definitely check with a different coach regarding grips from now on!

That thread is very helpful! Sorry I didn't see it and made my own thread! Thanks for posting it though!
Seems like I should go a size down from what most sizing charts say as when I order according to them the grips are too big.

Reactions: COz
CB doesn't like people dragging up old threads. I don't know how old is 'old' though.
That thread really deserves to be sticky or hold a place in some reference section though!

This is exactly what my daughters grips look like and I've asked her coaches and they said they were ok grrrr. This was her first year using grips and her bars went downhill quick with the grips. She says she feels like she is going to peel off and so she is timid with her casts and swings. As soon as she takes the grips off the taps and swings are great. I guess now is the time to get new grips for us too.

Exact same problem with me! I won't swing big enough to do an uprise because I feel like I'm going to peel!

My first grips were reisport and those are us glove. I believe both were to long when I first got them but that's how I thought they should fit since I went with what my coaches said. It's probably amazing I didn't peel more often!
Glad I asked around and posted on here!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back