Parents Feeling sentimental

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AgingHippie

Proud Parent
With States coming up this weekend and the team/coaching changes not too long after that I'm feeling very sentimental. Our team has been like a 2nd family this year....maybe because we are a small team (less than 10).

I know it's the nature of the sport, it's just hitting me hard this season for some reason. My DD was blessed with an awesome group of girls and a coach she is super attached to. I guess you toughen up to the team changes as the levels go up but yeah this one is rough.

My dd is younger, but I understand what you mean. Maybe there won't be that many changes next season? I hope that she ends up with an equally awesome group and coach next year!

My dd's team has had a rough time of it the past couple of months after their state meet. One girl left because of injury. Another stopped gymnastics. Another changed gyms. And another got hurt (concussion), was out for 6 weeks, came back for a couple and just quit. Each one was a about 2 weeks apart. Then, to make things worse, they combined their team with a lower level team that had also shrunk, so they went from 11 girls that have been together for 2-3 years to a team where the 7 left are outnumbered by the 9 other girls that are a level below them skill wise. It feels very weird and sad and is causing a lot of unhappiness right now. I'm trying to have faith that it will all work out and they will form a happy new group, but it's been hard so far for a variety of reasons.

We are having to deal with this as well.

Our group is split now at different meet times because they are different levels.

They still all train together. I am so hoping they all make it to L6 next season.

I think this is one of the hardest things for parents of gymnasts to adjust to. They compete as a "team" and you can easily grow attached to that group of girls and parents, but the reality is that progress is 100% individual, and the likelihood of the "team" staying together in its entirety is next to none.

We dealt with the same thing with my daughter last year. She was asked to move up after 2 meets because her scores were so high but she didn't want to move because her friends wasn't moving with her. Well this year the coaches said she had no choice so she skipped a level this year and she did really well. She also adjusted to her new teammates and they are some of her closest friends. I may add that my daughter is the youngest optional gymnast on her team. She is a newly turned 9 and everyone else is 11+ so she thought the transition would be hard but it wasn't age wise.

((((HUGS))))), it is not easy that's for sure. I'm afraid that DD's group may get split up this year and they've all been together for at least two years but some even longer than that. We don't know yet about move ups, but it's been weighing heavily on my mind. Even worse, dd's best friend on the team is moving two hours away this summer and will have to switch gyms, so even if they are all able to stay together they are already losing one awesome little teammate. Ugh.....it's so hard, the team dynamic and that support is just so important, even though it's an individual sport in the long run.

I was recently looking at a photo of dd's group when they all started training level 3 together. Now they are heading into level 5. Of the original seven girls, one moved away, one switched to Excel, and two quit. So sad!! :(

A) @TOPSmom715 -I agree! Awesome nails! And B)- this post kind of hits home because I've started thinking about this recently. We haven't been at the new gym a full year yet, so I really don't know how the level moves will work, but I can only assume the groups will be changing a little. I finally have gotten to know the moms a little and Puma Jr has finally bonded up with her teammates after some hotel swimming and post meet dinners. I get the impression the majority of the group has been together awhile, but again, I'm not sure of the plan. The good news is that the L4s sometime train with the L3s and sometimes the L5s, so we are familiar with those kids too. We'll see! It's kind of exciting and kind of nervous at the same time. Good luck, @AgingHippie ! :)

A) @TOPSmom715 -I agree! Awesome nails! And B)- this post kind of hits home because I've started thinking about this recently. We haven't been at the new gym a full year yet, so I really don't know how the level moves will work, but I can only assume the groups will be changing a little. I finally have gotten to know the moms a little and Puma Jr has finally bonded up with her teammates after some hotel swimming and post meet dinners. I get the impression the majority of the group has been together awhile, but again, I'm not sure of the plan. The good news is that the L4s sometime train with the L3s and sometimes the L5s, so we are familiar with those kids too. We'll see! It's kind of exciting and kind of nervous at the same time. Good luck, @AgingHippie ! :)

Thanks Mrs. Puma, one of our team members has already announced she is quitting so the changes are already starting. I suspect a few will go to 6 and a few to 7 so things will be different for sure. We should find out mid May.

Thanks Mrs. Puma, one of our team members has already announced she is quitting so the changes are already starting. I suspect a few will go to 6 and a few to 7 so things will be different for sure. We should find out mid May.
Oh no! Quitting is even sadder! In our gym all the L7-9 train together, so theoretically you'd all be back together eventually. Puma Jr is hellbent on moving to L5. We shall see....

It's hard leaving your friends. My DD has been with the same core group since Level 2. After L5, she was the only one to go straight into Level 7. Now she's the youngest by 3 years. She's actually been going with the Level 5 group lately since they practice at the same times ( her request), and her meet season is over. She loves it. They're all training 7 skills, so no big difference.

When will you find out? I am praying for 6. I don't like the pressure of jumping levels.
No clue! We switched gyms last June, and they didn't know what the heck to do with 'ol Puma Jr. Basically higher skills/lots of form issues...old gym was going to have her score out of L4/5 and start optionals...she definitely wasn't ready. I won't bore you with the details if you remember my story! She trained some days with L3 and some days with L4 and at the end of the summer they had parent meetings. I believe some kids were told then and there if they'd be repeating or moving up, and some were deemed "bubble kids" and had until Oct 30 to make the higher team. (First meet is end Nov/beginning of Dec). Puma Jr was told at the end of September she'd do L4, but again...she was in a weird situation. So I can only assume they will train with their current groups in the summer and there will be parent meetings again late August. I very much like that our gym (from what I can tell by stalking...lol) is very individualized with their move ups. They have some kids move up in January too, and it looks like there is not set scores where they move them up. Some did L6, some skipped...again, I like this approach. Puma Jr has competed pretty much everything in L5 (at Xcel gold last year-old gym stopped doing compulsories) and though she still certainly needs work form wise, but she has improved sooooo much. I actually think she'd do better at L6 since it's basically the same skills as L5 but an optional routine could play up her strengths. I'd rather they continue working on her form and the actual skills rather than the intricacies of a compulsory routine, but what do I know?! lol!!! It's not my call, so it is what it is!
ETA: I'm not saying she should skip, but I kind of think two years of L6 would be more beneficial. Again, what do I know?! Lol

I remember your story well! I'm so glad you are in a good place.
Thank you. We really are. I will always be thankful to her original gym for developing her love for this sport, but she is in the right spot. Sorry for highjacking the thread!!!

When will you find out? I am praying for 6. I don't like the pressure of jumping levels.
I hope you are able to help your dd transition from this group/year well. Glad it was such a great experience. As for 6 vs 7, going straight to 7 is it the same as sloping any other level. 6 is considered equal to 5 and moving up from 5 is going to 7. Like moving from 4 to 5 there are skills needed to get to 7, but not 6. All the best to your dd's next year, either way. Hope the new group and coach will continue to be a great experience.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back