Feet sliding on floor & it's not a new floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kzpage

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Any suggestions are appreciated! My daughter is 8yo, last night she needed to take tumbling test which she should've passed. She didn't. For whatever reason her feet were slipping on the floor. I watched her do the very first thing, a backbend and then she was constantly trying to reposition her feet bc they kept sliding forward. She couldn't kickover bc her supporting foot was sliding. This was really basic stuff to start the test, which she can do, but because she didn't do it they ended the test. She tried multiple times but each time her feet were sliding. THREE other girls took the same test on the floor and didn't have this issue so I don't believe it to be a floor issue.

I'm so confused!!! She's devastated. I have no idea how to resolve this issue. I have noticed her feet slipping when she practices at home but I thought it was bc we had an odd carpet. During practice they use the tumbling mats, not the floor, but to pass the test she needs to do it on the floor. They don't allow chalk on the floor.

Any ideas I'll take! I have a very sad little girl who watched her friends pass the test while her feet slid around.

Thank you!!!

OK, I am not a coach, but how is her shoulder flexibility? Usually when I see gymnasts whose feet slide out from under them, it is because their arms aren't all the way open and therefore the distance from their hands to their feet is too far for them to stay up. Could that be the issue?

I am going to post this pic from years ago because you can't see any faces...the girl in the front row, 4th from the right, and second row, second from the right both had issues with backbends and back walkovers because they were not flexible. See how their ears are not covered by their arms, but everyone else's are? The one in the front row you can see how much wider the distance between her hands and feet are. This makes your weight just push down and out. The one in the second row compensated with bent knees. Both were/are super talented gymnasts who struggled hard with their flexibility. Both also had far fewer issues once they moved on to back handsprings. One is a very successful level 8 now.

There are exercises and stretches to improve this. One is to push up to bridge with hands against a wall, and then try to push the armpits into the wall.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 94
Omg yes! That's what she looks like!! Thank you! I'm guessing when she does the floor routine she has momentum in her favor to help her do the skills versus when she needs to do them stationary on the floor. Thank you so much! At least now I see and can help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back