WAG Fhs ft ft?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just can't seem to land my front handspring - front tuck - front tuck on floor. I don't have a video but I'm looking for any advice from coaches. I have a high and powerful first front tuck then zero height on the second one, resulting in a super low and crouched landing or straight to my butt. And a few times I've landed the first tuck with nearly locked knees which isn't helping my confidence! My coach tells me that I should hold back on the first tuck and not go so high so that I have more forward momentum and power for the second one which makes perfect sense but I'm struggling to do it! Any tips on how to do that or additional advice? Thanks!

Do you land with your chest down? I find it difficult to make the second tuck with a low chest.

I "rebound" into the next tuck which is usually very high so maybe fhs-ft-punch drills would help?

Just front tuck front tuck might help too.

Your coach pretty much nailed it with the lower longer first front tuck. Try working on handspringx3 series with the goal of building speed and learning how to get your legs to be a bit more like shock absorbers, not shock makers ......and work on a front tuck to front handspring. Consider it a mental exercise to help your body develop front tumbling intuition.

And......share these ideas with your coaches to make sure you're all on the same page.

Thank you for the input! I'll definitely share with my coach. And dunno- I'm just not a great front tumbler (back problems) and struggle with fhs front layout as well. It usually ends up like an open pike / super hollow layout, I can't grasp the heal drive. Tips for that as well?

More energy into the handstand phase of the skill..... fall faster, kick and push faster, and push the floor back behind your head as fast and far as you can to start your snap down...... feel your shoulder muscles squeezing your arms against your ears through the lift from the snap down into the punch and set.....

Just a quick review for you to think through. One last bit of advice. If you know what part needs to change, make sure you do something different that you can feel. If you can't feel the different piece, then you really did noting but think about it while repeating the same old mistake.

If you know what part needs to change, make sure you do something different that you can feel. If you can't feel the different piece, then you really did noting but think about it while repeating the same old mistake.

This is definitely a problem I have... I'll stand in the corner of the floor going over everything I need to do but end up doing exactly what I've been doing, which would be flipping into the ground on the second tuck!

What dunno said regarding the longevity of the pass, but in the interest of preserving it what are you spotting to open the tuck position and land? I like a huge powerful tuck, but teach it with a spot. When the gymnast opens out of the tuck from height they punch from a layout position for whatever comes next.

This is definitely a problem I have... I'll stand in the corner of the floor going over everything I need to do but end up doing exactly what I've been doing, which would be flipping into the ground on the second tuck!

It's a case of putting your body into the position you're thinking about. Sometimes just standing upright and tightly holding the position you want to make happen right before you go can help out.

Better still..... get into the position you want and have your coach or a team mate push you toward the wrong shape/position while you struggle to hold the correct shape/position. Do that just before you go, and your muscles and mind will have a fresh memory of what needs to happen. Just a teensy bit more....... figure out where your first mistake is, fix it, and keep it fixed for a week or more before going to the next part that needs to change. If you start to regress back to old habits you have to re-do the correction, but this time do it for two weeks before moving on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back