WAG FHS vault - question for judges

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
Hi! My DD will do a short season of L5 before this fall and the coaches are really pushing her to vault at a higher table height. She is 8 1/2 and pretty small overall for her age but she is a pretty powerful vaulter. She competed L4 at a table height of 110cm. She moved to a 115cm right after the season ended and now seems to overpower that as well, and take a HUGE step forward on landing. Now they are trying to get her to vault at a 120cm which seems super high for her height! The other girls on her team training at 120 are at least 2 years older and a full head taller. She is hanging in there, but seems not to get the same strong repulsion on 120 but does a much better job sticking the landings.

From a judging perspective, which would score better: super strong blocking/repulsion off the table (115) but a big step forward on the landing or a less strong block (she still gets some, its just not as powerful) but a stuck landing (120)? Thanks!

Only way to tell is with a video. Big step is 0.3, lack of repulsion could be anywhere from 0.1 to multiple points.

Just trust the coach, he or she knows what they're doing

Reactions: sce
Thanks! I trust the coach for vault - she regards L5 as an opportunity to make her kids more powerful and braver. I know she ideally wants the kids vaulting on higher table heights and my DD can definitely do that. I'm just curious... she did well on L4 vaults and I just want her to be prepared if she should expect lower scores for L5 if she cannot get same level of repulsion. I don't have videos comparing the two unfortunately. I only have the 110cm from L4. I rarely stay for practice, so i didn't realize that she had moved the table height until my DD told me, so I missed 115 altogether! This is what my DD tells me...that she was landing with too much momentum, so they raised the table height again.

Reactions: sce
I was curious about this as well. My DD trains with a few girls newer to her level and my impression is that they like to keep the group at the same vault height, but she consistently took giant steps on the landing last season at 115. She wants to try vaulting at a higher table height but she doesn't want to make it more difficult for the coach who's new to the gym. I'm pretty new to the sport--is it difficult or time consuming to change the table height? This may have been discussed in earlier threads...but do coaches typically change the height of the vault for different gymnasts in the same training group in practice?

Our coaches change the setting during practice. There is a wide range of heights of the girls so they need to change it. However, some of the shorter, more powerful vaulters may be vaulting at a higher height than taller girls. So it gets adjusted for the individual needs.

Having to take steps forward in landing is not necessarily an indication of a more powerful block, it can also mean the gymnast is coming off the vault at a late angle or arching off after hitting the table, causing the power from the run to propel them selves forward instead of also up from the table.

Thank
Having to take steps forward in landing is not necessarily an indication of a more powerful block, it can also mean the gymnast is coming off the vault at a late angle or arching off after hitting the table, causing the power from the run to propel them selves forward instead of also up from the table.
In my DD's case, I do think a late angle might be a factor...thanks for that insight. Would a higher table height have any affect on the angle?

Thank

In my DD's case, I do think a late angle might be a factor...thanks for that insight. Would a higher table height have any affect on the angle?
There are too many factors to know for sure - could be not getting hands to the table quickly enough or not tight enough when hitting the table so staying on the table too long - it is a complicated skill.

Interesting. Going by what the coach said, it's too much power, but I'm pretty clueless. She definitely doesn't arch, but can you help me understand what you mean by coming off at a late angle?

Interesting. Going by what the coach said, it's too much power, but I'm pretty clueless. She definitely doesn't arch, but can you help me understand what you mean by coming off at a late angle?
Gymnast should, ideally, leave the vault by vertical.
images

I was curious about this as well. My DD trains with a few girls newer to her level and my impression is that they like to keep the group at the same vault height, but she consistently took giant steps on the landing last season at 115. She wants to try vaulting at a higher table height but she doesn't want to make it more difficult for the coach who's new to the gym. I'm pretty new to the sport--is it difficult or time consuming to change the table height? This may have been discussed in earlier threads...but do coaches typically change the height of the vault for different gymnasts in the same training group in practice?
We have girls in one training group that vault on settings ranging from 100 to 125. The coach has those who vault on one setting all go, then the next setting and so on, then start over and repeat.

At DD's gym, the girls vault in a specific order. Girls with the same vault height go one after the other when done those girls change the vault height and mat set up for the next group. I think this helps build teamwork and teaches the girls confidence in all aspects of a gym.

Only way to tell is with a video. Big step is 0.3, lack of repulsion could be anywhere from 0.1 to multiple points.

Just trust the coach, he or she knows what they're doing
A big step is .2; angle of repulsion is up to 1.00. You also have height and distance and too long in support to think about. I think a good block and good height with a big step is better.

I unfortunately don’t have any answers to you CuriousCate but oh my goodness this vault is amazing! I had to comment just for this. This must have scored high! I’m sorry for going off topic but that’s incredible.

Yes, that is a noticeably different vault! I definitely couldn't say with certainty that my kid pops like that from vertical! I think she comes close, but wow! That is a phenomenal vault. Thanks for the video @wandrewsjr

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back